Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 58 LRC Starter and alternator Voltages

Don’t buy anything until you own the boat!
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

My 1976 58 LRC is 32 V starters. I have 6-71's. I just bought one myself for my port engine. I'll try to find the invoice and get you the info.

However, be aware that the mounting might not be the same from boat to boat, or even engine to engine. On my boat, the port engine is driven off the rear of the engine where the starboard engine is driven off the front of the engine.

For the best possible fitment, I would call you local Detroit Diesel dealer with the engine serial numbers and have them check on possible spare availability.

FYI, you may be able to recharge ALL the batteries with only a single alternator depending upon how your system is designed. My setup is design and wired that way.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

If you need to change a starter, be sure you get the appropriate gasket set and get extra gaskets. The way the starter is mounted, the mounting hole is open to the transmission and if the gasket leaks, it can deplete the transmission oil. It's tricky to get the hole sealed properly. I have first hand experience with this issue and still have a leak even after remounting my port starter twice.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Thanks for all the advise everyone. I was only entertaining the idea of buying this as spares because I was offered a 24v Starter, 24v alternator, and generator that came from the 4-71’s in the Hatteras 65 Sailboat. Then he was throwing in a new raw water pump and rebuilt one, plus some other random 4-71 parts. All of this he offered me for $500 so that’s why I was looking to buy it all. Thanks JD for letting me know about the starters needing a gasket set and to look at the mounting location.
    Knot Your Hatt
    1975 58 LRC Hull#302
    Little River, South Carolina

Forget the parts. Buy the 65 sailyacht
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Only three were made.....

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Forget the parts. Buy the 65 sailyacht
    This!
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I have only seen one for sale , it was in the Med , and I think they wanted around 500K .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Take them , the water pump alone is worth that much , even if the electrical stuff doesn’t work out.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.