Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

58 LRC Starter and alternator Voltages

Hello everyone, I have an opportunity to buy some Detroit parts that I would like to have as spares for when I take possession of our new to us 58 LRC. The problem is the starter and alternators are 24V and I believe the 58 LRC was 32V can anyone confirm that they are 32V.
    Knot Your Hatt
    1975 58 LRC Hull#302
    Little River, South Carolina

Re: 58 LRC Starter and alternator Voltages

Quote Originally Posted by BFDfirefighter16 View Post
    Hello everyone, I have an opportunity to buy some Detroit parts that I would like to have as spares for when I take possession of our new to us 58 LRC. The problem is the starter and alternators are 24V and I believe the 58 LRC was 32V can anyone confirm that they are 32V.
    32 and 24Vdc. Then could of been 32 and converted to 24.
    You have a world of possibilities.
    Look up the survey or check battery pictures.

I was under the impression that the 32v starters have not been available for many years and that many are using 24v starters. I know that mine are 24v and work with no issues.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    I was under the impression that the 32v starters have not been available for many years and that many are using 24v starters. I know that mine are 24v and work with no issues.
    What gauge are your tracks?

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 2.25.58 PM.jpg
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Why not just check the voltage at the starter? If the boat is 32V and you get 24V at the starter then it’s time to trace back the wiring to its source.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    Why not just check the voltage at the starter? If the boat is 32V and you get 24V at the starter then it’s time to trace back the wiring to its source.
    He doesn't have the boat yet, and has the opportunity to stock up on parts but doesn't want to buy stuff he doesn't need.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    What gauge are your tracks?

Attachment 42230
    He'll need two for his locomotive engine.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I'm sure my 12-71, 32V starters are not 42 year old originals but I have not touched them since we purchased the boat 17 years ago. Work perfect every time.
    Probably the only item I do not have a spare for.

The originals would have been 32v along with the alternators. You would need to be on board to determine if they've been changed. The starters and alternators may have a tag that identifies voltage.

If not, it's easy to just follow the thick starter wire to the bank. If it goes to the 32v banks you have your answer.

My guess would be that if you still have 32v on board, the starters are probably 32v, but no guarantee on that, so you'll have to visually inspect.

Call the seller/broker.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY