Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Engine Heaters Connectors & How long to warm up?

We are in the midst of a Sydney winter and the morning temperatures are about 55F. This causes the engines to emit two big puffs of white smoke when they start which is unpleasant for our neighbours on other boats.

When we purchased the boat, there were 110 volt engine heaters connected but I removed them because the cable connections and AC wiring quality / integrity were scorched / poor and I thought dangerous. I had not thought about replacing the cables until now as a way to stop the puffs of white smoke at start up. The elements are still in the block and were working when disconnected.

- Does anyone know what these connectors are called and where to purchase these please? They appear to be three wire, but earth was not connected when I removed them.

- Finally does anyone have an idea about how long it would take an element to warm up a motor before it would start instantly? One hour? Two hours? Boat is on a swing mooring, so genset power only.

IMG_9431.jpg
    Old connectors seemed fine; it was the dubious AC cable ends and connections that were scorched.

IMG_9432.jpg
    Element installed in block.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 08-14-2020 at 06:48 AM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Re: Engine Heaters Connectors & How long to warm up?

Scott, I installed AC outlets close to the need. That makes other work easier without extension cords. So can’t answer the first question. If those are standard 1,000 watt heaters and if 55F is your ambient and if your motors aren’t worn out, you should get some relief in about four hours. A lot of ‘ifs’ and not what you want to hear, I’m afraid. At a dock, I almost immediately put mine in-gear. That little bit of load is enough to kill the smoke on a cold day almost immediately. Maybe you’re in a strong current.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Scott,

Some general observations using 110 volt heaters here in the Great Lakes, where temperatures vary considerably.

1. Running the heaters for anything less than four hours will likely not see any benefit regardless of ambient outside temperature.

2. I usually turn on my block heaters the day before I run the engines so there's sufficient time for them to come up to temperature.

3. When I run the block heaters and engines are warmed up to preset heater temp the amount of exhaust smoke at start up is MUCH less than a completely cold start.

4. Regardless of Spring, Summer, Fall or Winter (Yes, we've run the boat in snowy conditions) I will not start the engines unless the block heaters have brought them up to temp first. Only exception is an unplanned engine start during the summer which is very very rare.

5. At least one other Hatt owner I know on our dock with Detroits leaves his heaters on all the time even in the hottest portion of summer. Reason being that he goes out three or four times a week so rather than turn them on and off, he just leaves them on all the time. Our boat is more of a dock queen, so I just turn them on an doff selectively.

6. Our heaters are thermostat controlled and each is 110 volt powered. I have two 110 volt circuits on the AC panel for the heaters (port & starboard). The whole system was factory installed by Hatteras.

7. The combination of the engine heaters and the use of Diesel Kleen fuel additive appear to keep the amount of smoke at start up to minimal levels.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    6. Our heaters are thermostat controlled and each is 110 volt powered. I have two 110 volt circuits on the AC panel for the heaters (port & starboard). The whole system was factory installed by Hatteras.
    What temperature are they set for?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Units have digital thermostat controls and I believe right now temps are set at 120 deg F. When the engines are up to temp they feel slightly warm to the touch on a typical summer's day. In late fall or winter with the heaters on the engine rooms are downright cozy.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

I use my heaters for virtually every start. I leave them on all night before a start. One thing I have noticed is that that the thermostat portion corroded completely away on one of the heaters . This caused a loss of coolant. Luckily I had just started and was idling . This is because the thermostat part is aluminum and the heater is stainless. I had replaced the entire system , but it was ten years prior. So get a new system, not that expensive. www.kimhotstart.com. I used model DDL-101-WOC in my 12V-71’s , but check with them to be sure. They make a big difference. On at 100 degrees , off at 120.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Scott, your winter temps are about the same as ours here in San Diego. My heaters are 1500 watt and 1 hour is plenty on mine for a clear start. Smaller units obviously would take longer, It’s tough for us to have to suffer through the harsh winters we have, lol, John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Thanks to all.

Its the cord and orange connector I need to replace please. Where to buy?
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Buy the cables and connectors here...

https://www.hotstart.com/
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

My old Connie had one 6-71 that was a stunningly heavy smoker and hard to start...unless I left the 12v oil pan heaters on overnight. Then that engine would start almost immediately and barely smoke. The difference was really amazing. The problem, of course, was weak rings. Typical recreational motoryacht usage/primarily liveaboard for decades.

As racclarkson said, I generally fired up only after I'd secured all but one or two lines, shore power, etc from the dock. All of the fluid checks I did before firing up, just to lessen stress between neighbors. Fire up, quick BAWOOSH check out the transom, quick scan of the ER, then toss all lines, hit the helm station, and go.