Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Hatteras 56 MY fuel consumption at hull speed

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    If it helps, my 17’-6” beamed, 12V71ti 55C shows about 16GPH at around 9 to 9-1/2 knots per Flo Scans. That’s almost 11MPH for river people.
    Thanks for the conversion.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    I was told …. you can dump anything in LOL French or American fry oil.
    Not sure about Shrimp fry oil....
    I would probably never try any of the above, just an interesting concept.
    I met a guy that had an oil heater in a rather large pole barn that said he could burn diesel, kerosene, use motor oil etc.

You would think all these numbers would be published by Hatteras. It would be a nice thing to do.
    But I suppose they are more concerned with new buyers that are not worried about fuel vs boat cost lol.
    Manufacturers won't do that because there are too many variables. They test a boat with minimal fuel etc., and their customer bitches when their boat won't turn the same numbers. There is a Boating Magazine test of a 53ED in the brochures archives on this site that will give you some good, baseline numbers to compare against. They will definitely show you how much it costs to exceed hull speed by the slightest of margins.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

That sounds logical, thank you for the input!
    Very Interesting phenomenon, I am just learning!
    Now how about on French Fry Oil? haha!
    You do realize that “French fries” ain’t french but Belgian, right? Just like French Toast... delicious but ain’t French.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    No, it won't. We've had this discussion before.
    Yep... And while I find it funny to feed bacon to swimming pigs, I know better than mud wrestling a pig because the pig enjoys it.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

As FreeBird said, there are many variables. A couple important ones, that I learned, is how clean the hull and props are, and how deep the water is. When I get shallower than 14 ft, I can tell. Shallower than 12 ft, I can really tell. 1 mpg is optimal, unless you run really slow (like 6 knots), but that is bad for the engines. It is usually less than 1 mpg because the generator is running, the hull Is not slippery clean, the water isn't deep, there is a current, etc. But nothing as low as when you go above hull speed. If you can plan your trip with currents, you can boost that number quite a bit.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

FWIW, the 56 MY has an 18’2” beam, not a 18’10” beam.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    You do realize that “French fries” ain’t french but Belgian, right? Just like French Toast... delicious but ain’t French.
    And then you have to know that Belgium has been a battling ground between the French and the Dutch for, well a looong time. Eventually in 1830 they became their own thing, united but divided. The South speaks French (Les Wallons) the North speaks a dialect of Dutch: Vlaams, or Flemish as we say. As a Dutch speaker I can communicate, until they get drunk and then all bets are off. "Y'all talk funny". As a side note, every Polish joke you've ever heard is available in Dutch as a Belgian joke. (Changing light bulbs and all that.) Meanwhile, the whole country is in two languages and has been burning each others books for hundreds of years. Think Quebec. But I digress.

The French Fry, which Pascal pointed out correctly is NOT French is known as the Pomme Frites in the South and Patat Friet, or Frietje for short in the North. As (another) aside Dutch and English are sibling West Germanic languages so the similarity between Patat and Potato is no coincidence.

The Dutch too have fully incorporated het Frietje in their diet. Even the staunchest Keto practitioners will NOT relinquish their frietjes.

You can get a frietje just about 18 hours a day in Holland. An excellent thing to eat when stumbling out of a bar at 3am. They are eaten with condiments. Always. Salt. Mayonaise. Ketchup. Satéh sauce. (NO vinegar. Freaking Brits.) The Belgians have something called "klef en sal" (sp?) Translates to "sticky and salt". The Dutch, in their never ending cynicism will eat them with mayonnaise AND ketchup AND finely chopped raw onions. This is known as "patatje Irak". Yes, that Iraq.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Thanks for the very informative history of the Not So French French FRY

Now wouldn’t you agree that when you drag a wider NSFFF in the sauce, it will encounter more resistance than a narrow one ?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Oh yeah, I like French toast and Belgian waffles... while getting 1MPG on a 56MY at 10MPH, or on a 58MY while getting 1MPG at 10MPH, or on a 60MY while getting 1MPG at 10MPH. Oink oink.
    Last edited by jim rosenthal; 08-06-2020 at 05:30 PM.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93