Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Hatteras 56 MY fuel consumption at hull speed

Yes thank you Oscar, we Canadians also have a victim for our jokes. The residents of Newfoundland used to get rough treatment when it came to humor but now that the Maritimes are such a popular tourist destination the jokes are less. We will always have Quebec.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Yes thank you Oscar, we Canadians also have a victim for our jokes. The residents of Newfoundland used to get rough treatment when it came to humor but now that the Maritimes are such a popular tourist destination the jokes are less. We will always have Quebec.

Walt Hoover
    Yes, the "Newfies". Had a real encounter with them, indirectly. Newfy farmer THOUGHT something fell out of the sky, called Transport Canada and it was determined the only thing overhead was one of our 767's which was ordered back to New York. It was checked, nothing was missing, and a fresh crew (me) was called out to take these poor people to London ....... 10 hours late.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Hello everyone,

In June the Commodore & I made a trip in our boat the GPS mileage for the trip from the dock in
    Ft. Lauderdale to the marina in St. Mary's was 400 miles we used a total of 400 gallons.
    On the outside we ran the twins at 1200-1400 with the occasional run up to 2000.
    (Ft. Lauderdale to Cape Canaveral).
    In the ICW we ran at around 1000 also with the occasional run up to 2000 in the open areas.
    Both fuel tanks were checked on both ends for accuracy.
    For the generator we used a portable gas generator it ran the whole time burning 35 gallons.
    Steven A. "Deckhand" (Master Unlimited Oceans & Great Lakes Pilot)
    Sandra J. "Commodore" (Full time grandma)
    Pirates Treasure, Pirates Key, Florida
    1972 58 Hatteras Tri-Cabin (The Dream)
    12V 71 N (The Twins)
    HIN: HATAP3251172
    USCG: 545345

Quote Originally Posted by piratestreasure View Post
    Hello everyone,

In June the Commodore & I made a trip in our boat the GPS mileage for the trip from the dock in
    Ft. Lauderdale to the marina in St. Mary's was 400 miles we used a total of 400 gallons.
    On the outside we ran the twins at 1200-1400 with the occasional run up to 2000.
    (Ft. Lauderdale to Cape Canaveral).
    In the ICW we ran at around 1000 also with the occasional run up to 2000 in the open areas.
    Both fuel tanks were checked on both ends for accuracy.
    For the generator we used a portable gas generator it ran the whole time burning 35 gallons.
    Good info, just to clarify to were on this: ?

12V 71 N (The Twins)

Hello Bob,
    Not sure what you are asking?
    Steven A. "Deckhand" (Master Unlimited Oceans & Great Lakes Pilot)
    Sandra J. "Commodore" (Full time grandma)
    Pirates Treasure, Pirates Key, Florida
    12V 71 N (The Twins)
    HIN: HATAP3251172
    USCG: 545345

oops typo! that fuel usage was on this below?

12V 71 N (The Twins)

We have put about 10k miles on our 58MY with 8v92s. At 1250 RPMs, 10 knots, we average 13 gallons an hour, which is roughly 0.8 miles per gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by Looking Glass View Post
    We have put about 10k miles on our 58MY with 8v92s. At 1250 RPMs, 10 knots, we average 13 gallons an hour, which is roughly 0.8 miles per gallon.
    Was the generator running for all or part of that?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Was the generator running for all or part of that?
    Rarely. We typically run for about 5 hours before finding a slip or anchorage, and therefore do not really need to run it. We usually only use the generator at anchor, or if we are doing a 24 hour run. The generator eats about 1 gallon per hour when we run it.
    Last edited by Looking Glass; 09-16-2020 at 10:44 PM.

I don’t understand why some include or even care to include generator usage on nmpg. It s irrelevant unless you re a dock queen. We typically use more fuel in the generator(s) than on the mains because we spend most time on the hook. Well... actually on the typical overnight outing we spend even more on wine and champagne than diesel anyway
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat