Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: !!PLEASE HELP!! Ford 427 engine problem

I would install a "day" tank to rule out the fiberglass tanks.

In addition you can rig a polishing system with a see through filter/bottle to circulate that fuel and see if there's anything obvious in it.

You MUST be sure of a clean fuel supply before proceeding.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 08-05-2020 at 06:06 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

you won't see dissolved fiberglass resins in gasoline.........Pat

Quote Originally Posted by doc g View Post
    you won't see dissolved fiberglass resins in gasoline.........Pat
    OK.... the day tank idea is still good though.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Yep, tanks gueing up.
    Bertram had the same problem.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 08-05-2020 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Siavosh View Post
    I do have fibreglass tanks and that was my theory when I switched both motors on one tank. The question is why one builds up the gunk while the other one doesnt? they are both burning the same gas!

Another question is: what's the solution? bladder in my tanks?
    Tanks are baffled so you would have to cut out the baffles to put a bladder in there. The best solution is to not buy gas with ethanol in it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Siavosh View Post
    I do have fibreglass tanks and that was my theory when I switched both motors on one tank. The question is why one builds up the gunk while the other one doesn't? they are both burning the same gas!

Another question is: what's the solution? bladder in my tanks?
    One tank and not the other? Don't read anything into that. Just the daily luck.

Contact C D Piner at Hatteras (cpiner@hatterasyachts.com). See if there is a tank replacement plan for your ship.
    There is a shop in the Keys supporting new tanks for ole Bertrams.

Quote Originally Posted by doc g View Post
    Ethanol eating up the fuel tanks.....................Pat

if you put ethanol gas in your fiberglass tanks, that is your problem. the ethanol is dissolving the resin
    which bypassed the filters and starts solidifying in the carb and downstream.
    when you turn the engine off it turns to like a tar substance on the valves.
    when you start the engines you will bend the pushrods.

why 1 tank and not the other? give it time and it will be both. its not if, but when.
    the symptoms will appear. how long depends on how the inside of the tank was laid up and what kind of voids there are.
    the tank is baffled, so a bladder is not the answer.
    replacement with aluminum is the answer unless you can find someone to make ethanol resistant resin tanks.
    this was not an option to me 14 years ago when i went thru it.
    you could also try and pump the tanks and only use non ethanol fuel if its available near you.
    this solution is entirely based on your comfort level of how far the tanks have dissolved.

if you will continue to use ethanol fuel you will need:
    1- aluminum tanks
    2- replace all rubber fuel hose with ethanol rate hose
    3- pull both carbs and rebuild because you will find it in there too
    4- id pull all heads again and free up the valves, carb spray or brake cleaner works for this too.
    the reason i say pull the heads again, which i know you dont want to hear after wrestling with that intake manifold,
    is the tops of the pistons will have it along with it starting to form a ring around the cylinder hole opening.
    think of it like gorilla glue in a combustion chamber
    5- as someone stated, these are solid lifter engines. when you have the heads off pull all the lifters
    and make sure the pushrods didnt damage the top and the cam didnt mar the bottom.

thats about all i can remember off the top, from my ordeal.
    good luck and if you have any more questions ask away
    Last edited by UNIQUE_NAME; 08-06-2020 at 02:54 PM. Reason: pistons
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

Quote Originally Posted by UNIQUE_NAME View Post
    if you put ethanol gas in your fiberglass tanks, that is your problem. the ethanol is dissolving the resinwhich bypassed the filters and starts solidifying in the carb and downstream. when you turn the engine off it turns to like a tar substance on the valves. when you start the engines you will bend the pushrods.why 1 tank and not the other? give it time and it will be both. its not if, but when. the symptoms will appear. how long depends on how the inside of the tank was laid up and what kind of voids there are.the tank is baffled, so a bladder is not the answer. replacement with aluminum is the answer unless you can find someone to make ethanol resistant resin tanks. this was not an option to me 14 years ago when i went thru it. you could also try and pump the tanks and only use non ethanol fuel if its available near you.this solution is entirely based on your comfort level of how far the tanks have dissolved.if you will continue to use ethanol fuel you will need:1- aluminum tanks2- replace all rubber fuel hose with ethanol rate hose3- pull both carbs and rebuild because you will find it in there too4- id pull all heads again and free up the valves, carb spray or brake cleaner works for this too. the reason i say pull the heads again, which i know you dont want to hear after wrestling with that intake manifold, is the tops of the pistons will have it along with it starting to form a ring around the cylinder hole opening. think of it like gorilla glue in a combustion chamber5- as someone stated, these are solid lifter engines. when you have the heads off pull all the lifters and make sure the pushrods didnt damage the top and the cam didnt mar the bottom.thats about all i can remember off the top, from my ordeal.good luck and if you have any more questions ask away
    Thanks this is really helpful as well as very painful! I guess the only other question is how do I replace the tanks? Do I have to cut my deck open to pull them out? Also, if I drain the fuel that’s in there now and put ethanol-free tanks, would it stop the resin from desolving any further? I’ve wrestled with all those manifolds and risers once. My lower back was done for 3 months...not really interested in doing it again...lol

No, replacing the fuel will not make the problem go away. Don't know what your tanks look like but making small pieces out of them to remove and then installing multiple smaller tanks that fit through the door is a common solution. Cutting holes in boats can have bad side effects and is $$$$.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

You can cut the deck out to access the tanks. Remove and replace with tested aluminum tanks that are treated for saltwater exposure. Make sure the inside is absolutely dry and stays that way or corrosion will kill it.

Do not do a bunch of little tanks. Do not think its ok to use the tanks after the ethanol.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.