Quote Originally Posted by Siavosh View Post
Thanks this is really helpful as well as very painful! I guess the only other question is how do I replace the tanks? Do I have to cut my deck open to pull them out? Also, if I drain the fuel that’s in there now and put ethanol-free tanks, would it stop the resin from desolving any further? I’ve wrestled with all those manifolds and risers once. My lower back was done for 3 months...not really interested in doing it again...lol
your profile says 1973 38 dc which is the same boat i have. laid on their sides with ALL the fitting off
the tanks will fit thru the aft cabin doorway and saloon doorway.
there is carpentry work involved with removing the aft bunks, the tanks are under them.
i cut the top platform as close to the edge as i could and removed it.
then you can unscrew/cut the bed walls from the inside and remove them without any damage to the exterior.
remove the port side first otherwise it will be in your way trying to get the stb tank up the stairs.

you will have to give the aluminum fabricator measurements for the new tanks.
the old tanks give you a ballpark starting point. i also had the exterior of the new tanks epoxy coated.
when replacing whatever rubber fuel line you have dont forget the fuel tank filler hose.

your tanks are compromised. i know i wouldnt be comfortable putting non ethanol fuel in them and going about my way.

this project sounds a lot worse that it was too. time consuming and expensive, yes, but its not rocket science and its just woodworking.
wood is easy to fix. as a gauge, it was much easier than the engine work.
have a second body with you to get the tanks up the stairs, your back will thank you.

good luck