Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

!!PLEASE HELP!! Ford 427 engine problem

Hi All,

I have a very unusual problem and I feel like I have hit a wall with this. I would appreciate any and every help!

I have twin Chris-Craft (Ford) 427s in my 1973 Double Cabin 38. last summer 5 of my intake push-rods got bent because of stuck intake valves. When I pulled the heads I saw a dark brown glue/gum kind of material all the way from under the carburetor flaps to the valve stems and behind the valve seat.

Got the heads rebuilt and put them back together, everything ran fine, for just about AN HOUR. shut the engine after initial test and when I went back to start it again, the same gum/glue was there and 3 of my intake valves were stuck.

I poured lacquer thinner down the intake manifold and it cleans it right up and releases the valves. Here are the things I've done to eliminate the source of the problem:

- Flushed my crank case with sea foam and changed the oil. Did a compression test and I got 150-180 all around.
    - Did a pressure test on my cooling system and it holds 30 pounds of pressure no problems.
    - To eliminate bad fuel, I rerouted my fuel to pull from the port tank. The port engine has no problems and is running on the same fuel.

After doing all that the engine ran fine for about 50 hours of cruising until I noticed a clicking noise again, pulled the carb and saw the same buildup in my manifold.

Can someone please point me to the right direction? Where is this coming from?

Any help is much appreciated!

Re: !!PLEASE HELP!! Ford 427 engine problem

You know those engines have mechanical lifters. Right? The tapping noise is the lifters out of adjustment and my guess is that's also the reason for the bent push rods. They were installed too tight and when you fired it up the push rods bottomed against the lifters and bent them.

The goo or spoo you speak of is probably charge mixture that's accumulated because the valves are not opening an closing properly, giving you blow back on those cylinders.

That would be my guess.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Ethanol eating up the fuel tanks.....................Pat

Other possibility is a whole bunch of bad gas causing the valves to stick, which would also explain the brown spoo.

Found this which might help

https://www.fordfe.com/bent-pushrods-in-390-t72511.html
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

5. Re: !!PLEASE HELP!! Ford 427 engine problem

Possible tuck open /gummed up crankcase breather valve.Do you have Carter carbs?

Considering the small amount time that this material showed back up in the fuel path of the engine intake I would look at the quality of the fuel being delivered 1st.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

I agree with Doc. Ethanol attacking the tank resin, which is a brownish red color. If lift the intake off youll probably see it in there.

This is one of the reasons I went to diesel. Had the same issue with lifters and a coated intake.

I could be wrong with your situation but thats what happened to me.

Jack

If you have fiberglass tanks, and ethanol in the gas... What doc g said.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I do have fibreglass tanks and that was my theory when I switched both motors on one tank. The question is why one builds up the gunk while the other one doesnt? they are both burning the same gas!

Another question is: what's the solution? bladder in my tanks?

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    Possible tuck open /gummed up crankcase breather valve.Do you have Carter carbs?
    I have carters yes! I can try flushing the engine and plugging my breather on the carb and running it for a few hours. Although when I run the engine with the blowby unplugged I have normal amounts of blowby not excessive.