Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

electrical panel 1965 41 DC Question

1965 41 DC electrical question:
    My electric panel gets all of the power from the shore power connected to the SB side. The Port shore power only powers my port side AC and nothing else. (boat came that way)

The problem I am trying to solve is that 90% of the electrical weight seems to be on one cable. This is not balanced - doesn't make sense to me.

Questions: 1-Does your P vs SB side shore lines feed different systems or the same main panel?
    If different systems, did you have an additional panel installed for appliances that are connected to the port side shore line?

Thanks,
    Akin
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

Re: electrical panel 1965 41 DC Question

I also have a 1965 41 DCMY. Our boat had two 30 amp shore power connections, and like yours one supplied only the air conditioners (in my case a 16,000 BTU unit for the saloon and a split 12,000 BTU for the master suite and V-berth). I don't think our boat came from the factory with A/C since there was a homemade looking panel in the starboard side book case with the A/C breakers. The two A/C units needed most of the capacity of the one 30 amp shore power connection. When I replaced my original A/C units with new ones several year/s ago I installed two 16,000 BUT units. The 30 amp shore power connection carried both fine, but with not much to spare. I've since replaced the two 30 amp shore power connections with one 50 amp retractable cord - much safer with little risk of overheating and fire since there is no boat-end plug/socket. I also replaced the original breaker panel with a Blue Sea modern panel - also much safer.

Send me an email or private message if you want to discuss this further. anderson@competitivepower.us