Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

VIP/Master shower drain issue.

During our vacation last week my VIP/Master shower starting draining all its water into the starboard engine room on my 1973 58' Yacht Fisherman. I'm thinking the hose feel off the bottom drain assembly under the shower pan. The attached photo shows the access to the shaft tube but I have no way to reach the drain. When the PO did the floor did they cove up the floor access to the drain? How do I fix this?

A949A7FD-BCF1-4614-8CF6-B8AD90836B0A.jpg
    Rob Dengler
    58' Hatteras Yacht Fisherman
    Stillwater, MN
    ROAMANIC

Re: VIP/Master shower drain issue.

I think you, or PO, may have done the same thing I did, when refinishing the floor in the guest head I did away with a hatch in the floor just ahead of the shower.in my case the net that held the drain in place rusted away and the drain was released and allowed water to leak into the hull. At the time I didn`t see the need for the hatch.

I wound up just sealing the drain to the shower pan.

It is working, for now.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Mine has started to leak as well. I have a small access hatch I
    n the hallway just Inboard of the shower drain. It does not look like an easy fix. I believe I have read a few forums on hear about this. I will look up and If I find them will post a link.
    "Remember"
    1988 67' cpmy
    Hull #301 (hull #1)

"Remember"
    1979 58' Y/F
    Hull #464
    https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/im...ine=1557868341

I have been known to do what I have to do to create permanent access before I even address the problem. Change the floor/wall/hatches what ever you have to do. This way: 1 You'll have some skin left on your hands when you're done. 2 It will never be a problem again.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I'll be watching this thread. I have a 53, but similar issue. Guest shower leaks and the water goes on top of the fuel tanks! This only happened a couple times when we first got the boat before we figured it out and we haven't used it since. two weeks ago I pulled up the carpet to fix, but damn if I can do anything via that tiny hatch next to the shower. I want to fix it now, before I tack the carpet back. I also was able to fix a sump pump issue (quite easy) but doing anything with the drain hose from the guest shower will probably involve new hatches.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Bumping this back to the top. At least monthly I do a good Visual inspection going thru all the hatches and such and I noticed water sitting on my center tank between the engine rooms and sure enough I have water in my stbd eng room. The master shower is all we use so I’m sure that’s the culprit, all my freshwater piping is new and leak free. I thought of this thread right away as any hatches that “were” there for access are now covered over with flooring. I may be in luck,my shower pans appear to be screwed in around the top edge so I’m hoping to be able to unscrew and lift it up high enough to get underneath and make the correct fix.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

I would cut a new hatch in where needed and just trim it out when finished.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Are you sure the sump pump is working correctly? Also there is an inspection hatch in the shower itself. In the two showers that have those I found the metal was loose which allowed water to pour in and go down into the engine room. Once I seal those up properly I have had no water in the engine room. But first I check the sump pump to make sure it is actually operating and then fix those two inspection hatches.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Hmm, regarding my case, I will check the guest shower hatch. I know the sump is fine, both the guest and master use the same sump. I didn't do a full on test yet, because it is a pita to get the water off the top of the tank. I was hoping I would be able to visually inspect.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

When I removed the inspection hatch in the shower the back side was soaked and badly water stained. I removed all the metal and let the hatch dry out for a week. When I returned I bedded the metal in silicon and screwed the metal back on the hatch. I then put a bead of silicone on the metal and pushed it back into the hole. I screwed it down and wiped off the excess silicone. Zero leaks for the last 5 years.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California