Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Damages Side Panels

Looking into purchasing this MY i wanted to know if anyone has been successful repairing this type of damage refinishing it, without replacing the wood. thanks in advance

Matthew

DSC02380.jpg

Re: Damages Side Panels

I had some damage like this, I ended up replacing the wood the veneer and the plywood under it. This was caused by a leak above. It doesn’t take much volume of water, but over time it creates a lot of damage. The veneer is harder than the plywood underneath, so by the time it is visible , it is a lot worse underneath. I would imagine that the screws around the ports are attached to very little or nothing. Just looking, I would think about $1500 in materials and stain and varnish.This is with you doing most of the work and a wood shop making the veneered panels . You don’t have to replace all the panels as you can cut out the bad and leave a seem which can be covered with trim. The hardest part is matching the stain , it has to be trial and error, as veneers seem to react differently to the same stain. If you get this boat find the leak first , it can be from as little as a #8 screw through the deck. I have learned never ignore even the smallest leak.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

I remember way back when YachtsmanWilly was restoring the sub he used muriatic acid to restore severely water damaged veneer with unbelievable results. Not sure how dilution strength, but it was strong. If you try it, obviously be careful of fumes and any metal your are working around, the fumes will tarnish your lungs and metal.
    Scott
    1976 43DCFB ,Hull #428, “Exodus”
    Long Island, NY

4 ought steel wool, match stain, tung oil, and thinner works wonders.