Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Series 1 36C available

One of my friends in NC, a former Hatteras owner, called me about a boat for sale in Hatteras village. This is a Series 1 36 convertible, probably a 1971 boat or similar year, which is a complete project.

Evidently, the boat was named "Decoy" in its past life. The story I was told is that the boat was being run down Pamlico Sound in heavy weather and an engine mount tore loose, whereupon the crew anchored the boat, waiting for a tow when the weather calmed. While anchored, the boat was hit by a shrimp trawler; the trawler boom tore the hardtop off the bridge.

The boat was brought to Scott's Marina in Buxton, NC, where the engines and generator were removed and sold (Cummins B series engines and probably ZF gears) The boat was then sold to Buddy Foster, who had it moved to Hatteras village, where it is docked next to my friend's boat, behind the Red & White supermarket there.

Asking price is $3000. She floats, and is tied up in a slip there. How much work is necessary I don't know, but I plan to be down there next week and I can snap a few photos of her while I'm there, if the owners have no objection. I will also try to find contact information.

Needless to say, I have no dog in the hunt here. I am not acquainted with the owner. However, for someone who has the skills and space and time, this is a chance to resurrect a 36 convertible- one of the nicest boats that Hatteras ever made. More to follow.

Re: Series 1 36C available

Looked at this boat today; no one was around, so I didn't see anything other than the outside. I shot a couple of quick photos. Boat is named "Decoy" and home port on the transom is Manteo, NC. Looks like a reasonable basis for a project if what you want is a 36C.