Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Peel and stick tiles for heads

Hi everyone. I’m wondering if anyone has redone a shower using peel and stick vinyl tile? I’d prefer to save the weight and go with these light tiles but am wondering if anyone has used them and do they hold up well ? Thanks!
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

Re: Peel and stick tiles for heads

After many years (14?), ours were just starting to just come up around the shower. We kept spares but the adhesive on the spares backs had failed also. I'm guessing the adhesive has a life, in use or not.
    lucky, Lowe's still has the same pattern if needed. I just used some Life Caulk and glued the new ones down. There was just some color fade in the old ones, the new / old spares look great.

What we learned years ago; Supper clean surface to stick to. Supper flat. If your going over plain wood deck, seal it and lightly sand supper flat and smooth. I removed a lift ring on a hatch and the tile caved in on the hole within a week. Some filler and a new (then) tile and all was great. Supper sharp razor knife with plenty of fresh blades. Use a steel rule to cut against on top of scrap ply wood. You can not hand cut straight lines. Not a wimpy cutter, a big handled one, you need to make the cut in one pass. Don't install anything until the puzzle is complete. Any rounds or curves make a template from cardboard. Rough cut out the tile wide. Use a 1 or 2 inch dowel with sand paper on it and shape the curve lil at a time till it fits.
    Have fun.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 08-02-2020 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    Hi everyone. I’m wondering if anyone has redone a shower using peel and stick vinyl tile? I’d prefer to save the weight and go with these light tiles but am wondering if anyone has used them and do they hold up well ? Thanks!
    Jon, not sure if I’m clear on this. Are you trying to install vinyl tiles on the walls and floor of a shower?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Any rounds or curves make a template from cardboard. Rough cut out the tile wide. Use a 1 or 2 inch dowel with sand paper on it and shape the curve lil at a time till it fits.
    Have fun.
    You need one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/RAK-Duplicato...6414790&sr=8-6
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Rusty, yes. They are peel and stick vinyl for lots of different applications. Many say don’t use in the shower but lots of people do and I was wondering if anyone had and what kind of performance they have given. Some I’m looking at are from tictac tiles, and others are from Wayfair.
    John
    Wickford RI

Adhesives are far better today than they used to be. If waterproof I’d say give it a go. Send some photos of before and after.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Send some photos of before and after.
    Yea, please send pics. We need new ideas in our ole beast.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 08-03-2020 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Yea, please send pics. We need new ideas in our ole beast.
    Always used 5200 to set the tiles, then went back with latex caulking for grout.

Yep, I will post some pics soon. We ordered the tile even though they say not recommended for showers. I didn’t want the added weight of real stone or tile, so we are going to try it. Just finished putting up some steel blue gray grass cloth in the master and what a difference! Looks like the high end Panacera! We got the tiles on amazon, but they are the tictac tile brand. I’ll take a few pics of the grass cloth wall covering and post. Took a while to do because lots of cuts in a small space. Still, TOTALLY WORTH IT.
    John
    Wickford RI

Quote Originally Posted by rtrafford View Post
    Always used 5200 to set the tiles, then went back with latex caulking for grout.
    Guess you're not planning on ever removing them?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay