Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Hurrycane Isaias

Highest winds we saw here in Vero Beach was 65 on my gauge at the house. But we are on the beach and see higher winds. Had a little surge last night after the winds shifted out of the west. Looks like it’s hea for the Carolinas next. Hopefully this is our storm event for the year.
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Gust or sustained?

I looked at every weather station along the coast yesterday and not a single one reported sustained winds over 35kts. None. There must have been a few local higher gusts In some of the bands (we got a 45kts gust here at the marina ) but that doesn’t make it a hurricane like all the drama queens on TV and the new online star wannabes want it to be.

Ever since Friday afternoon over the southern Bahamas, the eye crumbled on the south side and never recover. SW shear and dry air entrapment was pretty obvious. This is the Bahamas radar at 2PM on Friday...
    Attached Images
    Last edited by jim rosenthal; 08-03-2020 at 11:31 AM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Standing by on boat for some blow and king tides. Tracking a little east. Looks like maybe Wilmington.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

A non event for Charleston-maybe 40 kts. Yet, It was an excellent rehearsal opportunity for what surely will follow. There are also a number of first timers here. This was a great opportunity for them to, as they say, learn the ropes. Best of luck to my more northern friends.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Last week we went to NC to stay a week in our house that we haven’t seen much since all this COVID stuff started. By Thursday , we were racing back to Miami to get our boat to hurricane storage. I didn’t think that the storm would be that bad , but storage is paid for , so we might as well use it. Chaotic on the river as usual. But the worst was that the river bridges closed at noon Friday without warning. Fort Lauderdale, with a hurricane warning, didn’t close bridges until 8 at night. No one seems to know who made the decision. My liberal acquaintances claimed that the President and the Governor where responsible , laughable, as if a leftist establishment would be more responsive to a rich guy and his multimillion dollar boat . Anyway it would be great if we could arrange a suitable plan so that property is not in danger.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

In the past bridges would lock down whenever a mandatory evac was ordered or when winds reached TS force. Apparently the bridges on the river were locked down by a captain of the port order. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Love it when folks forget that thing called the US Constitution and believe that a governor or president can rule everything ....
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Indeed !
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Metric crap ton of rain, a little wind. Now slivers of blue and sun breaking through in Eastern PA.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay