Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hurricane refuges in New England

This is our first trip to the northeast and with hurricane season upon us I was wondering if the forum had suggestions on good places to shelter if a named storm gets this far north. We are currently on Long Island Sound for a few more days and then will be heading up to Rhode Island then on towards Maine.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

2. Re: Hurricane refuges in New England

I don't know if your travels will bring you to Block Island this coming weekend, but if they do, please feel free to join the Northeast Rendezvous.
    It's going to be a small group this year, but it's always a good time and I'm sure you'll be able to pick up some valuable info on local harbors.
    Eric
    1972 Uniflite Salty Dog "Sharon Jean"

https://72saltydog.shutterfly.com/

Preceded by a 1967 Hatteras 34C

Re: Hurricane refuges in New England

We hope to be at Block Island in about 10 days to rendezvous with friends. They are currently in Great Salt Pond on their Nordic Tug. We are booked for watermaker service in Noank on Monday and don’t know how long it will take.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

The Kickemuit River, up Narragansett Bay, in Bristol RI is a popular local spot.

I should have been more clear about what we are looking for: a marina or boatyard where we can either securely tie up in a slip or be hauled out for the duration. Not an anchorage, unless the winds are down below 50mph or so!
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

6. Re: Hurricane refuges in New England

If you're within running distance of the Connecticut River before a storm, Brewer Ferry Point Marina in Old Saybrook (now owned by Safe Harbor) is an excellent choice.
    I'm not a big fan of the management, but you can't beat the location.
    Eric
    1972 Uniflite Salty Dog "Sharon Jean"

https://72saltydog.shutterfly.com/

Preceded by a 1967 Hatteras 34C

If you are in RI Wickford harbor is excellent with the Wickford Shipyard and Safe Harbors Marina down the end. It would have to be pretty bad to be hauled as I sit in my slip when it’s been over 50 with no problem.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

On the NH/Maine border in the Piscataqua river is peperell cove. I think they're considered a hurricane anchorage. But to be hauled you can go up river to great bay marina. Portland Maine has plenty of marina's. I'm not sure about marina's east of portland.

If you're near Mystic, CT area, you can haul at Noank Shipyard, they have a lift big enough.

Many people will head up the river to Mystic Seaport as an anchorage as it's pretty protected.

FYI, we get nor'easters often that approach or exceed 50 MPH. FYI... I've never hauled for a hurricane in the Mystic area in 18 years.

If you're near New Bedford, MA, they actually have a hurricane wall that you can refuge behind.

Newport, RI has many larger slips for larger boats and you could likely find a spot there in a pinch.

I just rode out TS Isaias at Paynes Marina in Block Island. Many boats were moored out. It was basically a dud as TS or hurricanes go on the water in New England.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Noank was going to haul us, but instead they put us in a slip upriver at Seaport Marine, just below the road bridge. It is unlikely we will be able to use that slip again as per the management.

We are currently at Block Island for a few days. It looks like we will have a quiet few days up until the end of August when all hell busts loose! The “experts” are calling for an outbreak of hurricanes from August 20/25 until the end of September, as many as a dozen!

Thanks for all the information, I’ll be calling around to see what my options are: I like being a few miles up a River, I must say....
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht