Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Air filter replacement

I have been using various Filtrete filters by 3M. My master cabin came with a modestly effective fiber filter on the intake which just took out the big dust pieces. I ended up replacing this with Filtrete pleated filters. Every hardware store has these. I found a common size which is about twice the size of my intake. I cut this in half with kitchen shears so I get two. It fits right in the original space including its reinforcing plastic grid. According to 3M it is a self-powered electrostatic mesh powered by the static electricity from the incoming air. These filters come in varying grades from coarse to highly allergenic, going up in cost with their rated effectiveness. I suspect that the finest mesh might reduce my AC airflow so I go for a medium grade. I don't consider this filter reusable. I seem to get about three months continuous use out of each filter.

My three other AC units (two salon, one galley/bow) don't have room for the pleated filters but 3M makes another type for room ACs (3M #9808, I believe). These are a cut-to-size cloth, also said to be electrostatic. I ducttape these inside my aluminum intake grills. Since Hatteras used no filters here all I can say is they get a lot of dust and my condenser fins and drain trays stay clean. This cloth could probably be vacuumed out and the filter reused but by the time I have removed the grill, washed it, and untaped them I generally toss them and replace.

I have been very satisfied with these.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

thanks for all the info

I have tried a number of different filters over the years and have found the MERV 13 Filters to make a noticable difference in air quality and keeping the AC coilsclean. You can order in all shapes and sizes and cut down if nessecary. As of late, I have been ordering a supply from https://www.filtersfast.com/
    Best regards,
    --
    David