Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: DD 8V71T specs. What components went into turning 435 hp to 462 hp in later year

"Honey, can I get an old fire truck?"
    THE LOOK
    "But it has a Detroit Diesel in it"
    THE LOOK LEVEL 2

That's where I quit.......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: DD 8V71T specs. What components went into turning 435 hp to 462 hp in later year

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    How does one change blower speeds when the center to center dimensions / diameters of the camshaft drive gears, the blower drive gear and the blower drive quill shaft center are fixed?

Attachment 42106
    You can call Spacely Sprockets or Cogswell' Cog's. Either will have a full matching set.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

3. Re: DD 8V71T specs. What components went into turning 435 hp to 462 hp in later year

That appears to be the only way!!

I guess the notes in the DD Field Service Data Book are wrong then?

P8030342e.jpg

May be a 92 Series thing, but there are definitely different blower drive ratios on some applications.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Uh Oh, one of the real books.
    All hail da book.

The 462 hp engines used a faster blower and 120 injectors. 462 HP 8-71s were OE on some of the Pacemaker MY in the 70s.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

7. Re: DD 8V71T specs. What components went into turning 435 hp to 462 hp in later year

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I guess the notes in the DD Field Service Data Book are wrong then?

Attachment 42128

May be a 92 Series thing, but there are definitely different blower drive ratios on some applications.
    Nice reply. I never referenced the notes in the DD Field Service Data Book in my post. I was just curious what is altered to change the ratio. It is hard to read the photo image. What parts in the gear train are changed out according to the notes in the DD Field Service Data Book? That is only a 37 H.P. gain over the stock 425 H.P. 8V-71 TI found in thousands of boats.
    Last edited by kelpy; 08-03-2020 at 06:32 PM.

Nice reply. I never referenced the notes in the DD Field Service Data Book in my post. I was just curious what is altered to change the ratio. It is hard to read the photo image. What parts in the gear train are changed out according to the notes in the DD Field Service Data Book? That is only a 37 H.P. gain over the stock 425 H.P. 8V-71 TI found in thousands of boats.
    37 hp gain?
    Are you talking shaft HP or SAE flywheel HP.
    You could be talking about the same engine and tune.
    The sales guy used the higher number of course. All other real boat issues are in shaft HP.

Even if different engines are in discussion, the same metric (apples and apples) must be used.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 08-03-2020 at 06:40 PM.

9. Re: DD 8V71T specs. What components went into turning 435 hp to 462 hp in later year

I would have to assume it is HP rating at the flywheel since Detroit Diesel had no idea what gear the boat manufacturer was going to place behind, or in my case, in front of the engine. You will have to tell me how they were rated back in the 70's. The OP's original question was how a DD 8V-71 TI got from 425 HP to 462 HP from the factory. I still don't know how they gained the 37 HP. My question was how the 71 series blower drive gear ratio was changed to increase airbox pressure. See post #19.
    Last edited by kelpy; 08-03-2020 at 08:11 PM.

My question was how the 71 series blower drive gear ratio was changed to increase airbox pressure. See post #19.
    Guess it would have been a variation on this theme:
    Attached Images
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay