Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Hatteras 48 LRC in SC

Hey doc g
    Sounds like real world ops. That's funny as heck!

Quote Originally Posted by doc g View Post
    I get 1.25 to 1.33 miles per gallon with my 74 at idle which is 6.8 knots and at 8.7 kn i'm at 1 nmpg. 9.5 kn burns about 13 gal per hour . That said we normally cruise at 1850 rpm, 53% load and 19.4 kn at 64 gpm…..I cant imagine going 5 knots. We once set off from Cape May headed for Block Island , fuel was nearly 5 /gallon then and we were going to go idle speed the whole way , about 5 hours in my wife asked how much more will it cost to do our normal slow cruise of about ten knots , I made the calculation and it was like 1500.00 , wife says" F it I will pay it lets go". We saved over 3/4 of a day and were much more comfy. Life is too short to 5 knots. If that's what you want get a sailboat and spend most of your life getting there, JMHO......Pat
    Yes! Life is too short to slog along at hull speed. These boats were meant to run.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    You guys are just a barrel of laughs........

Yes, there is room to put money in to this, make it REALLY nice and still be right side up. My biggest asset is that I can, and have in the past, done most if it myself. And as I am about to tell the aviation industry to go on without me, since it too is in the toilet, I'll have plenty of time.

Wifey does want one that's usable in the mean time....... So that's a fine line......

That said, I have a lifetime of 5 knots under my keel in sail boats. So if we're gonna burn a gallon per mile ANYWAYS, I'd rather be doing 8-9 knots and I'll start looking at the 53's again and have the extra space for a few more feet LOA....... I'll get there.

Thanks for all your input, and abuse. LOL.

Good morning South Shore Dry Dock in Marshfield Ma has a nice 53MY for sale Prob on Yachtworld Also

I took a look at that 48 LRC about a year ago and I will tell you that it is really rough. Exterior paint is rough, both generators are junk, stabilizers have been removed, and has been just sitting hard in the mud at low tide for years. The story was that the owner was in the Great Lakes doing the Great Loop when he had a medical problem and had to turn around and come home to Charleston. When he got back he docked the boat and it never moved again. I was told that the main engines do run but did not get to hear them myself. I was told that the owner was realistic as to what the boat is worth but his wife was not. The owner is in his 80's from what I was told and not in great health.
    Knot Your Hatt
    1975 58 LRC Hull#302
    Little River, South Carolina

Yeah, that's the story I had. Well, I have moved on from this one.......

Thanks for all the replies.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by BFDfirefighter16 View Post
    I took a look at that 48 LRC about a year ago and I will tell you that it is really rough. Exterior paint is rough, both generators are junk, stabilizers have been removed, and has been just sitting hard in the mud at low tide for years. The story was that the owner was in the Great Lakes doing the Great Loop when he had a medical problem and had to turn around and come home to Charleston. When he got back he docked the boat and it never moved again. I was told that the main engines do run but did not get to hear them myself. I was told that the owner was realistic as to what the boat is worth but his wife was not. The owner is in his 80's from what I was told and not in great health.
    That’s just sad on many levels.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

What if the DD engines get rebuilt and add two new generators..... plus gut the entire engine room.

Costs over $250,000 to complete? Or just a deep rabbit hole for the love of a classic Hatteras

Mailman

Well, this boat probably has 4-71s... and majoring those would not be as expensive as the bigger engines in a MY or convertible. Not cheap, but not as bad. I don't know what size gensets came in this boat, but at a guess you would want 20kW for the main set and 6-8kW for the night set...that would not add up to 250K, nearly, but there are possibly a lot of "while you're in there"s. So a complete refit inc painting the boat, updating everything, etc, yes you could certainly spend at least that.

I suppose with a boat that's been neglected (and it sounds like this one might have indeed been neglected) you either do it all piecemeal, in which case it takes forever, or you just decide to do it all from the beginning of the process. Which might take less time, but will take a very large amount of money. Plus you will not do any boating for a year or two minimum while all this is happening. So all your maritime activity will consist of writing checks.

I was going to go look mostly because I love a project but this one is yaaaay more that I want!

Everyone is intrigued by the idea of a project until the day after they start it.