Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hatteras 48 LRC in SC

This has been on YW for a looooong time. Plenty wrong with it, I know. But, has anyone here actually laid eyes on it, know the story? Thanks.

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1...8-lrc-2972333/
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: Hatteras 48 LRC in SC

"Plenty wrong with it", in what way?

Just wondering what you're seeing that I'm missing outside generator issues and some cosmetic stuff. I love the 48LRC myself, even though they're slower than dammitt and bring a lot of money compared to larger Hatt's in similar condition. At the end of the day, the fuel savings aren't all that significant.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Are they true blue water boats?

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    "Plenty wrong with it", in what way?

Just wondering what you're seeing that I'm missing outside generator issues and some cosmetic stuff. I love the 48LRC myself, even though they're slower than dammitt and bring a lot of money compared to larger Hatt's in similar condition. At the end of the day, the fuel savings aren't all that significant.
    So a mile to the gallon, just slower? Interesting.

Aside from the generatorS both being toast, one engine wouldn't run when they had a buyer on the hook and tried to start them in 2018 and had to have a head replaced. (The engine, not the buyer) The boat has basically been sitting, and in the silt at low tide, for 6-7 years. Owner has not run it regularly, if at all. Since my post this morning I have a survey from 2012 and it would keep an efficient tool dude occupied for quite some time to restore basic functionality. Bilge pumps, heads, water pump and on and on.

On edit..... Engine mounts.... uneven wear on cutlass bearing.

Seller is not seeing "the light" yet.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 07-27-2020 at 09:21 PM.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Oscar, if you buy this, you might need a head replaced; yours. But you won't be able to afford it, you'll be too busy spending money on this boat.

I know LRCs are valuable boats in good shape, but this one seems to have a lot of needs. For what it would cost to replace the two gensets and get this boat into shape, couldn't you find another 48LRC and just go boating?

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    So a mile to the gallon, just slower? Interesting.

Aside from the generatorS both being toast, one engine wouldn't run when they had a buyer on the hook and tried to start them in 2018 and had to have a head replaced. (The engine, not the buyer) The boat has basically been sitting, and in the silt at low tide, for 6-7 years. Owner has not run it regularly, if at all. Since my post this morning I have a survey from 2012 and it would keep an efficient tool dude occupied for quite some time to restore basic functionality. Bilge pumps, heads, water pump and on and on.

On edit..... Engine mounts.... uneven wear on cutlass bearing.

Seller is not seeing "the light" yet.
    You obviously know more about the boat than what's disclosed in the listing. As for the mile to the gallon thing, you can expect that out of a larger motor yacht with larger engines if you run hull speed or below. That's my point. There is an interesting article in the brochures archives here on the 48LRC, and it may even be the same boat. Haven't looked at it in quite some time. Seems it really gets great mileage if you can stand running 5 knots. I've never tried that in a larger motor yacht, but it still comes back to the same thing, minus the long range part... compliments of the larger fuel capacity. No doubt it has more blue water capabilities, but who really needs that?

Based on what others are listed for, you could spend quite a bit of money on that one and still be considerably below market. Not saying I would do that, just saying. I'm guessing there is a good bit of flexibility in that price, but there's only one way to find out.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Oscar, if you buy this, you might need a head replaced; yours. But you won't be able to afford it, you'll be too busy spending money on this boat.

I know LRCs are valuable boats in good shape, but this one seems to have a lot of needs. For what it would cost to replace the two gensets and get this boat into shape, couldn't you find another 48LRC and just go boating?
    Is that the well known rectal-cranial inversion procedure? Neurosurgeon friend recommends tapping threads in the skull as patients requiring this operation often need repeated procedures.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

You guys are just a barrel of laughs........

Yes, there is room to put money in to this, make it REALLY nice and still be right side up. My biggest asset is that I can, and have in the past, done most if it myself. And as I am about to tell the aviation industry to go on without me, since it too is in the toilet, I'll have plenty of time.

Wifey does want one that's usable in the mean time....... So that's a fine line......

That said, I have a lifetime of 5 knots under my keel in sail boats. So if we're gonna burn a gallon per mile ANYWAYS, I'd rather be doing 8-9 knots and I'll start looking at the 53's again and have the extra space for a few more feet LOA....... I'll get there.

Thanks for all your input, and abuse. LOL.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

The 48 seems small with headroom... I am 6'3 and guest shower would be a tight fit.

I get 1.25 to 1.33 miles per gallon with my 74 at idle which is 6.8 knots and at 8.7 kn i'm at 1 nmpg. 9.5 kn burns about 13 gal per hour . That said we normally cruise at 1850 rpm, 53% load and 19.4 kn at 64 gpm…..I cant imagine going 5 knots. We once set off from Cape May headed for Block Island , fuel was nearly 5 /gallon then and we were going to go idle speed the whole way , about 5 hours in my wife asked how much more will it cost to do our normal slow cruise of about ten knots , I made the calculation and it was like 1500.00 , wife says" F it I will pay it lets go". We saved over 3/4 of a day and were much more comfy. Life is too short to 5 knots. If that's what you want get a sailboat and spend most of your life getting there, JMHO......Pat