Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Insurance with limited experience

Is it possible to get insurance on a 50-53ft boat with limited experience? When I say limited, I mean 21' lake boat type experience, so virtually zero "big boat" experience. Thanks.

Re: Insurance with limited experience

Anything's possible at a price.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I'm absolutely positive without fear of contradiction or any shadow of doubt that you've taken and excelled in a Power Squadron, DNR or some such boating class(es) and watched countless boat handing videos over your vast experience as a boat owner. And that, depending on the insurer, could be the extent of the requirement.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

In my recent experience - It's not easy. You may have to work with a Captain for a period of time who then "signs off" on your competency with running and handling. Or, you can talk about all the many, many times over multiple years that you ran your good friend's 53 footer.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

You will be able to get insurance.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

They may require a captain. But you can get coverage.
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

Barnegat lighthouse, LBI NJ

I agree. I’m sure the hours upon hours you have spent at Sams where it’s all about experience with and on big boats counts. It did for me. My insurance company did not require a captain to get me over the insurance hump. I did however have every intention of hire one until I/they felt I could handle her safely. I just didn’t want to have a minimum hourly requirement set by some actuary chart. On a side note, turns out a made a true friend in the process! Shout out Capt Ron!!
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

No captain required here either.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

It can be done some carriers may require a captain warranty or sign off for a certain number of training hours. I’m a marine insurance professional. If I can help feel free to reach out.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    I'm absolutely positive without fear of contradiction or any shadow of doubt that you've taken and excelled in a Power Squadron, DNR or some such boating class(es) and watched countless boat handing videos over your vast experience as a boat owner. And that, depending on the insurer, could be the extent of the requirement.
    Last thing I owned was 42'. I'm hoping that and an (albeit expired) OUPV will be enough.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay