Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anchor inquiry

Anchor inquiry

We have a 67’ CMY. We have used a Fortress anchor with generally good success in one area where the bottom is mud, but the anchorage that we frequent the most has a lot of grass & silt over most of the area so our most reliable spot is not always available. After a frustrating series of attempts over a crowded July 4 weekend, I surveyed my dock mates who have migrated to the newer generation plow types such as Mantus and Rocna. The distributor for Mantus is local, offered to help install to ensure proper placement, and their ratings among independent articles appears good (https://www.boatsafe.com/boat-anchor). The M1, similar to the original Rocna, does not fit our pulpit, but the M2, similar to the Rocna Vulcan, appears to be an option with the newer version available in mid-September. I do not want to have to notch my pulpit or relocate the roller if possible. Seeing if anyone has experiences either positive or negative. Also durability of galvanized vs. stainless steel since it seems most all are manufactured in China where some credible brands have had quality problems in the past. I like the look of the SS versions but worry about how they weather long term given we are stern-in & I can’t routinely get to it to maintain polish (like my stanchions) as well as durability of Chinese SS. Thanks for sharing your time and insights.

Asa
    1993 67’ CE, FH605
    GCCeas
    Seabrook, TX

Re: Anchor inquiry

Asa, I don’t know a thing about the new style anchors , but it’s good to hear that you still have your boat.
    Jim
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

The FX is awfull in grass and doesn’t reset well in a wind or current shift

My favorite anchor is an oversized galvanized Bruce aka Claw. I’ve been using them for 15 years all over the east coast from cape cod to the Exumas and it s fantastic all around anchor. As a bonus it’s very cheap, not that this would be the primary consideration.... it s great in any kid, sand etc. it’s not the best in thick grass because it s not sharp enough. We anchor an average 100/120 times a year and I can count on the finger of one hand the number of times it failed to set on the first attempt. I have held up in some serious blows over the years.... the worst being a 70kts Derecho here in the Exumas back in 2016... other memorable moment included a 50kts squall in a creek behind Isle of Palm .... and a summer squall you in Martha’s Vineyard Edgar town. With a 70’ Swan rafted you on us (a 70 Skylounge at the time)

I honestly don’t understand why anyone wants to spend so much money on a stainless steel anchor...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Because they’re pretty.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Because they’re pretty.
    If I remember my obsessive forum reading correctly, that anchor came with the boat!
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Because they’re pretty.
    I knew you’d have Stainless. I have a CQR style Stainless. You’re right. It’s all about the bling.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    If I remember my obsessive forum reading correctly, that anchor came with the boat!
    It did. I got a big Master Lock on it so I won’t be tempted to put it over the side.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I knew you’d have Stainless. I have a CQR style Stainless. You’re right. It’s all about the bling.
    The 84’ lazzara I run came with twin 88lbs Stainless CQRs. First thing I did was replace one with a galvanized 176lbs Claw... I used the remaining CQR once... barely held us in 12kts. Useless
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    Asa, I don’t know a thing about the new style anchors , but it’s good to hear that you still have your boat.
    Jim
    Jim:

We are still enjoying it as we enter our 12th year. Looks like you still have your boat as well. As you still flying? All the best.

Asa and Joy

You might try looking at Spade anchors, if they are still made. They are supposed to be good in grass. We don't have much of those bottom conditions here in the Chesapeake, so I don't have direct experience.