Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: 32V charger recommendations

I haven’t swapped out the sentry for the AS yet. It came in last week. Call them price are lower then you find online. I when with lower amps for 2 reasons(long story) and it was 600-800 ish after shipping. my old charger never really pulled over 20amps, we will see how I feel about the lower amps in the long run.

the one you want is the new smart charger that is not really posted yet. Model BCA1050-32

It’s just over 1,000.

let me know if you want to buy my old sentry!!!
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

Barnegat lighthouse, LBI NJ

2. Re: 32V charger recommendations

Prices on a new Sentry charger seem to be all over the place what should one expect to pay for a new 32V Sentry charger? I see that La MARCHE also still makes a 32V charger. The old one has last almost 40 years and still going, are the new ones any good?
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328

Thanks for the info and offer Phil. I Now have the Sentry, the analytics and I see that Newmar has a 32V charger to choose from.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

I've had the Newmar for several years now, it works perfectly. The only time the batteries use ANY water is during a long cruise, the alternators still charge like the original battery burner ferroresonant charger.
    It's not that the alternators are that bad, it's that the Newmar is so good that I can tell the difference.
    Newmar makes their 32V chargers to order (like others) but the time from order to delivery was pretty quick.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

5. Re: 32V charger recommendations

I’m going to replace my LaMarche charger with a new Sentry charger tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone knows the weight of the LaMarche? Is it a one man job to get it down? The new Sentry is a fraction of the size.
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328

It’s better to use two people if possible. It’s about 60 lbs if my back remembers. Could be as much as 80. Two of us took it out.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

It took two of us (big guys) to remove the old charger, and it was a struggle.
    I easily held the Newmar in place with one hand and drove the screws with the other.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Looks like you’ll have a starboard list to deal with. 😃
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Sentry is not a smart charger. You need something with an equalize function to desulfate the plates in the batteries to make them last longer. Analytic will do that and end up saving you money on batteries in the long run.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Hi THere;

Chartmaker has a McCarron VMI Constant Voltage Charger & Power Supply on board.

According to the website the 32Volt model is still available, but now its owned by QMI. It has an equalize function. So far so good. It is quite large.

G
    ood Luck
    Captain Chuck Bullett; W1AEK
    Chartmaker 1978 53MY Hull #522
    On-Air 2014 31 Benetau Oceanis Sloop
    chuckbullett@gmail.com