Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bathroom Makeover or Upgrade or Vast Improvement 61MY

Over the past month we have been improving the bathrooms on the boat. They were all looking very tired and the Admiral did not like the yellowy cream of the showers and bath.

The bow and mid bathrooms were extensively wallpapered in a light fawn with an American naval chart pattern. Its very appealing and goes with the character of the boat, but was overdone. I wonder if any other boat has the same wallpaper?

The OSR bathroom was top to bottom with mirrors and also on the ceiling.

A huge improvement we made was the removal of the shower screen doors and frames. No more turning to the side to get in the shower. We have made up a custom folding polished shower curtain rail. The OSR bathroom has opened up without the bulky concertinaing plastic screen.

There was liberal use of 80's colours ... the cabinets (vanity) being a dull cream/brown laminate. The vanity tops were a different creamy beige colour as well.

So we repainted using gloss white two pack polyurethane the shower/baths/vanity fronts.

In the mid bathroom we took off the wallpaper that surrounded all the wall cabinets and it's mirrors. In fact we found a third coloured laminate behind the wallpaper which is actually very pleasant to look at.

The Admiral has said she wanted carara marble vanity tops. I say they would weigh too much. So while this debate rages on I have bought some carara marble vinyl sheets to see what it all might look like. At the end of the day we will probably use a porcelain carara marble lookalike with an above top sink in the mid and OSR bathrooms. I made a vinyl splashback for the mid bathroom as a test.

Add a few new handles and 316 shower fittings and rails and the improvement is already immense.

Here are a few photos of the work in progress being done. More to come as the project progresses over the next couple of months.

IMG_9174.jpg

IMG_9226.jpg

IMG_9252.jpg
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 07-16-2020 at 05:18 AM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Re: Bathroom Makeover or Upgrade or Vast Improvement 61MY

A few more photos...

The first is the Stage 1 completed mid bathroom with fake marble splashback. We will spend some time working out the next steps for Stage 2 from here, but most likely a porcelain marble top with splashback and above top sink. Stage 1 is a huge improvement and new 316 fittings and rails (not in photo) make it almost look swish.

IMG_9290.jpg

IMG_9219.jpg

The big thing we have noticed already is that the mid bathroom is 30% brighter with the shower stall painted.

We have also removed the shower screen and frame and have had a custom fold back shower curtain rail made up. Huge improvement.

IMG_9170.jpg
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 07-16-2020 at 05:12 AM.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

Very nice Scott! It is a huge improvement!
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

What paint did you use? Went with FRP in the Head, only an old little Hatt But thinking about going white on the main lower insert. Hoping the video works.

https://www.facebook.com/john.mcclim...2612285112526/

There is an Australian company Called Norglass Paints...

www.norglass.com.au

I used their white Northane two pack paint.

They have been so helpful. Despite 20 years in the marine trade I have never actually used two part paints and/or processes myself. So its been a huge learning curve. One message message given to me loud and clear is that everything has to be super clean and "acetone is your friend."

I also washed down the surfaces with a special water based cleaner that car spray companies might use. Then acetone at least twice. If you have laminates, then they will need a two pack primer before the paint.

I've looked at your video. The same colour lower section was in my boat. You could do the same and paint it gloss white. I was strongly advised to use only two pack as it is impervious to detergents / stains and wipes clean for years. It does not dull and / or change colour. It can also be used in the basin too.

athroom.JPG

OSR bathroom with wallpaper and glue spots removed leaving only laminate. Unfortunately the laminate had been damaged at some stage neat the switches and has dents in it.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 10-20-2020 at 04:44 AM.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

I revisited the bathrooms for the first time in a couple of months having been busy with the flybridge seating project and school holidays.

The shower screen doors and frames were previously removed from the bow and mid bathrooms. The result was greater light into the basin area and easy entry and exit from the shower cubicle.

The big question was how to run a shower curtain. Here was our solution... Buy a 316 Bimini top angle bracket and have some 316 rod polished. Weld a nut to one end of the rod and upturn the other end so the curtain does not fall off. The rod swings out of the way and the shower curtains we found do not impede on space.

Removing the shower screen doors and frames was an easy job and combined with the swinging shower rods, make one of the best improvements we have made to the boat.

IMG_9690[1].jpg

IMG_9689[1].jpg

shower.JPG
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 10-20-2020 at 04:39 AM.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

The work has been done really well in the bathroom !!

So after six months of wondering what to about the benchtops and splashbacks and taking everyones' opinion, I made a First Sea Lord decision to use the marble vinyl wrap shown in an earlier photo. Fortunately a First Sea Lord outranks an Admiral.

We had got plenty of formica and stone samples, but at the end of the day the gloss vinyl wrap marble was the most popular design and appearance. And the easiest and least expensive too. Marble was too heavy and impossible as a DIY with my tools and skills. Any lamination had to be done off-site by a kitchen company. Porcelain faux marble might have worked, except you can't have a front edge.

I was able to purchase 18mm laminated book shelves from our hardware store and have them cut to size. The hard surfaces offered a good flat finish and square edges for the vinyl. From 4' away you would think its solid marble.

An oblong above benchtop sink with 9" high waterfall mixer tap should work well together.

QUESTIONS:

How do I remove the old sink without breaking it? Or am I going to break it anyway? Multi Tool?

Are the plumbing fittings 1/2"? What difficulties can I expect in disconnecting the old taps and installing 1/2" mixer hoses?
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 04-29-2021 at 07:07 AM.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

Scott, the improvements look great. I think I’d like to paint my shower. IMHO, you could paint the tub as well with two part paint. I’ve done toilet bowl that has some constant saltwater exposure. Held up well.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Scott, I removed one of my sinks and it came out very easily. The caulk they used was the type that really never dries completely. I was really surprised how easy it came out. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.