Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Questions

Turbo Questions

Okay I got a few questions on a Turbo on a 8-92. About a month ago after a run from Detroit to Bay City I was checking the engines over and noted a small pool of oil on top of the intercooler were the pressure hose from the turbo connects, Also than noted a very small amount of blue smoke when running that engine. I have OEM CCV and checked this to make sure that it was not plugged, it wasn’t. I took off the canister and looked into the turbo with a flashlight from the intake side and it appeared in good shape with only a small amount of film on the blades. Now my guess would be a seal failure on the pressure side of the turbo. I am going to go to the boat this weekend and remove the turbo and intercooler on that side and inspect the fins to make sure there is no damage and clean everything up. Am I missing something here? Is there something else I should check? I am aware that if there is damage to the pressure side of the turbo that means that something went into the exhaust from the engine. (I hope that’s not the case, WHICH sounds expensive) I may one call to a Detroit place up here and they told me a rebuilt was around $1250!! Any comments to make sure I am going the right directions with this would be appreciated. Also anybody have a less expensive source for the turbo?

Chris
    Superior Nights 53c

2. Re: Turbo Questions

Pull the outlet off and see what the outlet looks like. If you've got a bunch of oil (cooked or liquid) in there and not in the intake, it has to be coming from the seals.

If the seals have failed then you've got a problem you have to fix. It will get worse, not better. No way around it, and no, the price isn't nice - but it has to be done.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Re: Turbo Questions

$1250 is about right. I paid $1300 each for 4 new ones recently. Rebuilt ones from Garret would have been $150 cheaper (each), but they had none in stock, so the lead time was 8 weeks. I said what the hell, $$ spent on boats doesn't count, and bought brand new. It's easy to justify spending too much on toys.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

You may want to price a set of turbos from a Local place on the eastern Shore of Maryland called Parks Turbos & Injectors. They have been around a long time and have a good reputation.
    Worth a call anyway.
    JW

Chris,
    Check with Michigan Turbo in Grand Rapids. We have bought turbos from them in the past for some of our construction equipment.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sky,
    Good call on Michigan Turbo. Price was $250 cheaper than Williams Diesel. Also they were very helpful. Spoke with there tech Kelly, he stated that if I sent in my core first that he would see if he could just rebuild that, if there was no major issue with it at a substantially lower price. Also that galley maid you sold me worked great! Thanks again.

chris

Glad to help. Good luck with the turbo. Keep us posted on how you come out with that.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I need to double check but it seems to me that we have been paying around $800-$900 (with core return) for rebuilt turbos on our 1983 8V92s with dry exhaust.

9. Re: Turbo Questions

That sounds about right. The 6v92 ones run about $600.

BTW, if you're blowing these up and have Airseps, I can tell you how to STOP IT. After implementing the fix I didn't have ANY further failures, and a friend of mine who did things a bit differently (but to the same end) hasn't had any more EITHER.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis
    That sounds about right. The 6v92 ones run about $600.

BTW, if you're blowing these up and have Airseps, I can tell you how to STOP IT. After implementing the fix I didn't have ANY further failures, and a friend of mine who did things a bit differently (but to the same end) hasn't had any more EITHER.
    I am (and I'm sure others are) interested in hearing about the fix. Let me guess, Racors......