Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

I need a mechanic to service a 1965 Kohler genset. southern Wi or Northern IL.

My genset will not run. It cranks just fine. The magneto is not providing any spark. I placed the sparkplug against the engine block and when I crank, there is simply no spark. Spark plugs are new. Wires are new. I need someone to come and look at it. I called a few places but they don’t service genders this old anymore. I am looking for someone in SE Wisconsin or NE Illinois. Boat is in Kenosha. Thanks.
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

Re: I need a mechanic to service a 1965 Kohler genset. southern Wi or Northern IL.

The person who posted the removed post has been banned from the forum.

Re: I need a mechanic to service a 1965 Kohler genset. southern Wi or Northern IL.

I always miss the good stuff.

Did it have something to do with old genders being only male and female, not like what we have today? Now I'm not going to be able to rest until I know what I missed.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Simple... Its an AC/DC unit; swings both ways. First there was O'MANS and now Gender Benders LOL...Akin... is that a Kohler 6.5 inline 4? Take a finger nail file to the points. Either that or the low oil pressure shut down switch is open. ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 07-13-2020 at 02:12 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Hi Bill,
    Yes, it is the online 4 cylinder. the engine cranks but it won’t run. It’s getting fuel. No spark in magneto. So I am troubleshooting the engine first. I will then move to the points once I can get it running again.

I see a relay in the control box where it looks like someone soldered a capacitor on it. On of the legs of the capacitor was loose. I put a simple wire connector from the capacitor to the relay but didn’t make a difference
    Attached Images
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

Well, free advice is worth what you paid for it.... Capacitors and coils don't really like moist marine environments and don't age well. So that xr7 s a place to look, and as Wild Bill mentioned, an Emory board can do wonders for points contacts.