Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hot water heater

For anyone interested, the model number of my new hot water heater.
    Attached Images

Talking Re: Hot water heater

I could never understand why someone would heat already hot water.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Re: Hot water heater

That's a lot of watts.

I'd never be able to run it on my little boat.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Same guy that made that sticker; Upper and lower elements don't ad up to the same wattage..

I don't think I've ever seen a 9000 watt water heater, though.

6. Re: Hot water heater

Water heaters running on 120-volt power have a long recovery time, which is impractical for most households; 120-volt elements consume 1125 watts, while residential 240-volt heaters use 4,500 watts. If a heater has two elements, people sometimes assume that they should add their wattage to get the total power consumption of the heater. This isn't correct, because both elements don't come on at the same time. A heater with two elements and a label that specifies a power usage of 4,500 watts for each element uses a maximum of 4,500 -- not 9,000 -- watts.
    Beachcomber
    Former 3 Hat owner
    Home port Paducah, KY

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    If a heater has two elements, people sometimes assume that they should add their wattage to get the total power consumption of the heater. This isn't correct, because both elements don't come on at the same time.
    Specifically, the upper element comes on first, and heats the upper half of the column which stays up as it's lighter, and sits next to the "exit" for first use. Once that's heated, it shuts off and the lower element comes on to heat the lower half of the column.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Another difference often overlooked between 120v and 240v is the wire gauge. Not only does 240v offer the ability of twice the power (watts) on the same gauge wire as 120v at the same amps, but usually the 240v wire is a heavier gauge which allows it to carry even more amps, thus allowing 3 or 4 times the amount of power that a typical 120v circuit can handle.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Started process of removing old waterheater. PO had wired both hot legs, but clipped off the neutral wire. Ground was clamped to cold water inlet pipe. This can't be right.....
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Here's the neutral wire that fell out of the electrical tape when I started probing the electric feed to my hot water heater. The ground wire was also clamped to a copper water pipe.

Hatteras hot water neutral wire.jpg
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA