Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Freshwater level indicator

I'm a rookie but learning fast. The fill level indicator gauge above my counter top doesn't move. Original 1986 gauge. Went below to the water tank and a one of the 2 wires from the 'sender' was broken. Removed the 2 screws holding it to the brass/bronze cap.... thinking I'd extract some sort of a 'float' devise.... but no just the plastic disc with level indicators and a 'magnet' on the underside ?? After repairing the broken lead, and completely filling the tank the salon gauge still registered 1/4. I plan to replace this sender but have no idea how it works, should it be upgraded to something else any ideas and or technical education will be appreciated.

Re: Freshwater level indicator

You probably need a new Rochester gauge. Sams has them. You will need to remove it from the tank and replace it. Its possible you could take it out and clean it but after 34 years it probably has corroded enough that a replacement is in order.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

I was also perplexed by the "fake" gauge on top of the water tank. The float must rise and fall on a spiral rod that makes 3/4 of a turn, and it must have a magnet that drives the gauge. Mine also does not work. I haven't decided if I will replace it with what came with it (from Sams) or with something electronic.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Clean it. You might start liking it. Or in my case, tap it for a reading.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Clean it. You might start liking it. Or in my case, tap it for a reading.
    Easy to clean. Just be careful not to bend any of the rods.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I replaced all the original senders with Wema from Sam’s. One has failed in ten years. There is no direct reading, but they are very reliable. Original fuel senders work better than water senders as diesel is more of a lubricant than water. Even then it is better if you use the boat a lot so the senders are moving. Water tank senders corrode and jam easily.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    I was also perplexed by the "fake" gauge on top of the water tank. The float must rise and fall on a spiral rod that makes 3/4 of a turn, and it must have a magnet that drives the gauge. Mine also does not work. I haven't decided if I will replace it with what came with it (from Sams) or with something electronic.
    Yep, That is the ole Rochester sender, Last about 20 years if very lucky.
    They use SW tech ohms system when in electric mode. A new WEMA in SW mode will direct replace.

OK men, Thanks for the education and suggestions. I'll go down today clean it carefully and/or call Sam's for a new one. Again Thanks for the reply's

My fuel tank gauges, installed new in 1971, still work. The water tank level gauge corroded into the fitting on the top of the tank and a friend and I had to peel it out with a cutoff wheel. We installed a new gauge with TefGel, okay so far.

My port Fresh water tank sending unit has bad out-of-range ohm reading (319ohms) and I want to replace or repair. How does it come off? Does it unscrew? Hoping not to break the tank fitting but can't tell how it's installed.
    I assume it's a WEMA and that Sam's has the correct replacement for my 52CMY?
    Thanks!

Water sender PORT (319 ohms ERROR).jpg
    Cheers,
    Eric
    BREAKAWAY 1990 Hatteras 52CMY