Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hatteras 36 series I Cummins 5.9 and ZF 220a's

Does anyone here have this combination, or know someone who has it? My boatyard is telling me that it won't fit in the 36 Hatteras. They didn't try to fit it, they just made a template with plywood, and used that to make the determination. I swear I have seen other Series I Hatteras's with that combination

Re: Hatteras 36 series I Cummins 5.9 and ZF 220a's

Definitely fits. Needs a down angle gear. Very common power package for the 36 series 1. Don’t think there are any obstacles in a series 2. 220A is a down angle. Find a new yard.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Ask Dr jim for pictures.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

It doesn't work at all. Send them to me and I'll see that they're properly disposed of for you.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

We spoke by phone. I don't know what the repower yard is looking at, but the combination of the Cummins B engines and ZFIRM220A gears has been done in a lot of 36 series 1 boats. I'd estimate at least twenty by now. Slane's shop alone did seven or eight of them, and I know of quite a few others.

David is using the QSB engines, but I don't think the basic dimensions are much different from the 370 Diamonds that I have. Mine fit with room to spare.

Same problem we had with the Bertrams in this size. You have to spec the ZF down angle clutch. AND, not the ZF mounts.
    Then the whole world opens up.

When it does get tight, it's usually the expansion tank. This can be relocated if needed.

Yeah, every one I've seen wtih Cummins B engines had the down angle gears, and the IR220A only comes in one down angle, so that's the right one. David, look on Tony Athens site to see what he did with the engine mounts; he made it so you can change the seawater pump without removing the engine mount. Very clever. Also, look at his seawater pumps, the SeaMAX ones, they are better than the Sherwoods that come on them from new.

I remember hearing sound files of the QSB engines when they came out. They are a lot quieter than the mechanically injected B series, and they make more hp, too.

QSB engines have the pump up high and pulley driven. No issue with the motor mount and the third generation pump is quite reliable. Just replaced 2 pumps on a pair of engines with 2000 hours and no issues. Used new Sherwoods without hesitation.

And FYI these are not made in China like the others you mentioned.

The biggest issue with motor mounts is making them right. I've seen too many shortcuts. Almost every repower I'm involved in gets custom rear mounts. On the 34's fronts too as the stringers are too far apart for standard mounts.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I don't think SeaMAX pumps are built in China, but I'll ask them.

My good buddy put 5.9's in his 36 Hat. they work, I agree find another yard.