Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Dometic verses Aqua-Air

One of the original condensers on my 1973 MY seems to have failed, and I am in the process of getting estimates for a replacement. I have already received the proposal for replacing with OEM Dometic unit, and am considering also getting a proposal for the replacement using a Aqua-Air unit.

Have any of you had good or bad experiences with Aqua-Air, and are there other variables that I should consider if I replace the Dometic unit with an Aqua-Air unit?

Thank you for any feedback,

Marcus-Beach House
    Beach House-Hull#421

Re: Dometic verses Aqua-Air

If you search this forum, there are a number of threads and posts about replacement marine AC units. The one that seems to get the most kudos is Ocean Breeze, I think they are called, in FL. Would be worth checking out.

I put in an Aqua Air unit in the masteroom about three years ago and it still works but it’s aggravating I could never program the water pump to turn off consistently with the compressor. There is a setting but it is inconsistent. Sometimes I wake up and hear nothing but the pump and fan. Customer service was the owner but he was no help at all.

Also when I first turn it on it cools really well for about five or ten minutes. Then although the compressor keeps running, it starts blowing room temperature air. After I turn it off and back on it will cool all night. Might be a problem with the reversing valve but it’s out of warranty now.

I have heard good reviews of Marinaire. https://www.marinaire.com/Products-s/12.htm

Next time I’ll try these. Some people criticize the R410A coolant as flammable but I’ve never heard of a fire and it is supposed to be the most efficient.o
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

I installed 2 new 16000 btu Aqua Air condensers with the new digital thermostats, seven or eight years ago. Both are still running and I prefer the newer digital thermostats. If I were replacing today and wanted to stay with the original type units, I would order Aqua Air. I have pondered next time, one of the new multi split units. Maybe mount the condenser on the hard top and cool the fly bridge and back deck. Has anyone attempted that? Steve

Love my Ocean Breeze. They'll custom make what you need.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381