Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Stabilizer instal

We are in the middle of the install of new Naiad stabilizers. They drilled 6 1/2 inch holes in the bottom, then glassed in 18” x 18” X 5” solid laminated mahogany blocks that were pre drilled for the Actuators. Mounted the tank on the aft bulkhead of the port engine room on a 3/4 inch plywood sheet. The electronics box fit under the helm. Actuators get installed today and tomorrow, then the start making the hydraulic hoses. Got 6 square foot fins.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Re: Stabilizer instal

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    We are in the middle of the install of new Naiad stabilizers. They drilled 6 1/2 inch holes in the bottom, then glassed in 18” x 18” X 5” solid laminated mahogany blocks that were pre drilled for the Actuators. Mounted the tank on the aft bulkhead of the port engine room on a 3/4 inch plywood sheet. The electronics box fit under the helm. Actuators get installed today and tomorrow, then the start making the hydraulic hoses. Got 6 square foot fins.
    John is that a hatch to the left of the unit? Where does it lead? I can’t tell from the photos.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

That’s the forward engine room door
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Who's doing the work? Interested in having mine done.

Mahagony?

Why not an inorganic backing material?

I love working with mahagony but that's a strange place to see with so many other materials available.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I have 4.5 sq ft fins and they seem to do well. The 6 sq ft should be even better. I find that in really nasty conditions, I need some extra speed to make them more effective.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

You will love the ride with the stabilizers. I wouldn’t own a 53 my without them 😀

When I had the old Vospers removed and the new 6’ Trac installed I had the whole section outside the stringers reinforced with close to an inch of solid glass extending a few inches up the hull side and stringer side. Call me paranoid . Mahogany doesn’t rot so it s often used in this application
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I think gpo3 or g10 would be better, but much more expensive. The Niad guys mentioned that some boats have stacked plywood , which will deteriorate.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Trying to save $50 or even $100 on those blocks is insane. Coosa would work too.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat