Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Galley electrical problem

We've got an odd electrical problem on our 58 YF and I wanted to see if anyone else out there has experienced something similar. We lost power to the frig and galley a couple of days ago. Initially we suspected just a bad breaker, but now realize that one side of the AC panel is completely dead. When the main breaker is in the 'on' position on that panel, the voltage meter reads zero. However, when the main breaker is turned off, the volt meter registers about 42V. I know this is limited information but any clues about what may be going on here?

Re: Galley electrical problem

something similar hapened to me a couple of years ago, it turned out to be a defective / shorted main breaker on the marina pedestal...

try using a different outlet on the dock if one is unsued within reach or try with using the genset.

if it works fine on generator, then you know the problem is between the rotary and shore power cord/adapters/dockside breaker.

if the problem happens with the generator, then you have a problem within your panel. Bad rotary or main breaker... open it up and trace with a voltmeter.

what year is the boat ? I was amazed to see how more complicated the later models are the other day when touring Angela's 1980 58MY. extra rotaries, isolation tranformers, etc. etc. of course, anybody who got shocked when putting their fingers in the oppsite side shorepower while looking/feeling for the cable jack will understand the benefits...

very different system...
    Last edited by Pascal; 05-23-2006 at 11:46 AM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

My Matthews used to have that situation where the "unused" side electric inlets were hot all the time. This is very dangerous and potentially deadly. The panel retrofit on my boat fixed that problem. If your boat is wired that way I would encourage changing it. Either a rotary selector to choose inlets, or a series of breakers with a "slide" selector for which one is in use.

Is the panel a 120 volt or split 220 volt? If it is a 120 panel then you might have a bad breaker link to that side. If it is split 220 you have a bad breaker. Use your meter. It got to be something simple. The 42 volts is just a back feed from a bad ground. You can't have a voltage change through a breaker it's on or off.

BILL

Check the fuses at the inlets.

Thanks much for the feedback. I'll check those things suggested and report back when the problem is located. BTW, the boat is a 1977 model. I think the panel splits the 220 into 2-110V circuits.

7. Re: Galley electrical problem

Either one of your legs is open or one of the returns (neutrals) is open on one side.

This is an extremely dangerous situation for obvious reasons.....
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker