Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ramblings

Ramblings

On 6/18 our diver cleaned our bottoms. Water stayed flat glass calm at 90 plus degrees for 10 days. Came home and I used the 46 and sons took the 34 out fishing. Both boats ran hot and performed sluggish which cut our days short. On the 46 I even got a low oil pressure "beep" from alarm dropping off plane.

Taught my sons how to change impellers on the 34. Simple because I have Tony's replacements. Also serviced the Good Automatic Windlass. Super easy to service because it is made right and out of the right materials. Only tools needed are snap ring tool and one size allen wrench. Turns out the rusty chain is what is preventing freefall. Will replace and old rode becomes more long hurricane lines. I drove the boat today and what a beast. Forgot as I have been on the 46 lately. With classic 34 Hatteras hull mated to simple high torque 6BTA Cummins of "only" 270HP it's like a speed boat! 25 MPH at 2200 RPM. All at well over 1 MPG. What's not to like?

On the 46 with DD day after cleaning on the 18th had my mechanic on board. Changed fuel filters and off we ran to check RPM's and temps to establish baseline. All goes well with temps but there is certainly an issue airside on port, not getting full RPM's. But not bad. Anyway after 10 days of sitting in roasting stagnant water we go to use on the 27th and notice problems. Have heard that 8-92 cooling is marginal at best and it seems so. With everything clean and running good temps were perfect. Oil was changed, bottom and running gear cleaned and all is well again. Get an new bottom job next month so that will keep us clean the rest of the summer months.

Anyway, it feels great to own and run these grand old boats. The 34 needs a lot of work at this point but being what it is it is so rewarding to constantly repair/replace/upgrade. It was junk when I got it, renewed in 96, repowered in 98, painted in 08, and she's ready for more love. But the boys are on the hook now!
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Re: Ramblings

46 is hauled and safe from storms for a bit. Props off to the shop (no change, just checking for umm... some polishing issues) and port cutlass bearings getting changed. Chasing down the RPM issue on port had the turbos removed to send out. The outboard had a decent exhaust leak and the inboard a broken V-clamp. So maybe (probably) part of the issue. Should be back in the water 1st week of August with all that, new bottom, and other engine service items addressed. Can I hit the legendary 46HP 33 Knots?? Don't think so but 30 at WOT with full RPM's would be a good baseline. Then cruise all day at 1750-1800 where they seem so good.

The new windlass has arrived and the planning can start for install over the winter. Also have new rode and chain for the 34 so it is functional again.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Which windlass brand/model are you installing on the 46?

Which Good Brand model do you have on the 34?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Sorry I never got around to replying to your PM. The 34 is staying in the family. My sons are running it now. It has a Good F-850-A. Excellent unit and super easy to work on. Works better hurt (my fault) than the Sipmson-Lawrence did new.

Already purchased a Good F-850-DW for the 46. The DW is new and not on web site yet. It is an F-850-C with a bigger motor. Same profile and only pennies more if you are considering one.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Splash is set for Thursday morning. 2 rebuilt turbo's, very thorough bottom job, gear oil change, impellers, port cutlass bearings, engine zinc's, prop recondition, shaft and rudder stuffing boxes repacked, and many boat bucks later we sea trial in the morning. Also added some LED transom lights. So hopefully Port performs correctly and vibration is gone. Need to make it to event in Clearwater this Saturday.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I missed this thread when you gave the info on Good Windlass. I'll check about that new larger model for my 41c. But I think I need a horizontal.

I was thinking of adding a horizontal LoFrans.

I have one of these installed in the chain locker, it's pretty neat: http://anchoring.se/english%20site/eng_default.html

Vibration is gone 👍. Still lacking full RPM’s on port engine. Next is rack and injectors. Turbo’s, props, and inter cooler now tuned out. Also will look at raw water bypass in case we have too much back pressure. But she runs great at cruise!

Also while sitting a couple things broke. Forward head vacuum pump will not shut off. Port tach stopped working, bad signal generator. Guest head lights not coming on.

Use it or lose it!!
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Who did your bottom work and cutlass bearings. Yard I used did good job on bottom but was hesitant to handle 2 1/2" cutlass bearings. My try Pittman next time

Embree in St Pete. Not best price but very capable and most thorough. Get what you pay for thing. And since I’m not used to the big boat service pricing they may be well priced.

If you need something done right this is a place to consider.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

What was the cause of the vibration?