Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

36 Convertible w/ 454's

My wife and I are looking for our next boat to enjoy with our young family. With 3 kids all under 6, we need something with some interior room so we can enjoy our northeast summers. We want something that can fish (troll for salmon in Great Lakes), and fit us for hanging out on weekends and perhaps the extended week or so trip. The 36 seems like it'll work well for everything we're looking to accomplish.

One area of concern for me, it has '86 Crusader 350HP Big Blocks. This is a heavy boat for gas IMO. How "bad" will it be though?

We're not looking to go offshore, so to speak, fishing is at most 15 miles into the lake and you can start trolling within a mile or so off the shore. So, I'm really not worried about fishing fuel consumption. What I'm, slightly, concerned about is when we want to run her down the lake for a week or so trip. What are the cruise numbers as far as speed and mpg at a cruising speed, with big blocks? We're trying to see what our range would be to get from port to port.

What is the diesel repower option of choice for these models, if we end up keeping her and the motors crap out. Just trying to get an idea of what that surprise would cost.

Also, is there any areas that we should pay special attention to when looking at the mid-late 80's 36's? Fuel tanks with ethanol an issue with these at all? How hard are they to replace?

We're pretty excited about this model, but figured I'd ask the experts for some advice.

Thanks for any info you can share!

Re: 36 Convertible w/ 454's

Go diesel.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1988/hatteras-convertible-3707967/

T
    his girl was posted yesterday and looks and sounds great. So many advantages over a Gas boat IMHO. Good luck.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Deleted, I did not see that OP is looking at 80's boats
    Last edited by madhatter1; 08-27-2020 at 11:08 AM.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Re: 36 with 454's

That 38 in WI is great but more than we're looking to get into right now.

I just realized I made a mistake with my title, the boat is actually a 36 Sedan, not a convertible. Trying to look at the differences, but appears to me mostly cabin size/layout.

Any Sedan owners that have experience with this power set up?

Your sedan is a better fit for family use. I am/was also a Great Lakes boater, and
    yes the boat is heavy for gas. BUT not too heavy. For what you are describing as use, you should
    be fine with gas. Maybe 4 months of use, weekends and not great distances. Diesels will be better, but a LOT
    more expensive to look after. Don't bother. The seasonal oil changes on the diesel boat will pay for all
    your gas for a season. You won't put on enough hours to get any meaningful benefit from the diesel.
    For Great Lakes boating if gas works, stay with it. Least expensive way to go. And if you ever have a
    need for speed, you have it. For an emergency, who cares about the gas cost, you can hurry to help.
    Without doubt, the diesel model will feel better in the water with the extra weight, and run faster and
    further. But be honest with yourself. How often do the conditions allow a fast trip, and getting there is
    so much of the fun, not being there. Its a great entry to the Hatteras brand and a great trade when
    you decide to move up. Enjoy this one, the larger ones definitely should have the diesel power.
    Formerly 2 n Joy 52 CPMY

The 36 and 37 sedans and convertibles (I think there were both but check the brochure archive) had a choice of gas engines as you describe, which will drink a lot of fuel and not go very fast, or diesels, which will drink less fuel and not go very fast. The basic hull design of those boats, which were not drawn by Jack Hargrave, has a lot of beam. There is a lot of room in them but they aren't quick boats. The earlier 36, the Series 1, is smaller in all dimensions, but the hull is capable of much more performance.

I agree with Scott- find a diesel boat. But find one that already has diesels, which WERE offered in these boats back in the day. Unfortunately, they were mostly Detroit 6-71s- very durable engines, but heavy and not a great deal of power for their weight. I don't know if any other diesel options were offered.

I would not buy one of these with the idea of repowering it. That will just cost you a fortune and keep you off the water while you are completing a very expensive project. Find a boat you like, diesel if you can find one, and get a good hull surveyor and engine surveyor. If it all lines up, happy boating!

You ae correct about the gas and ethanol. SKY can let you know what year the resin was
    changed to allow the ethanol. It is a concern. and might/could require a fuel tank change.
    Maybe the marinas have only ethanol free gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
    You ae correct about the gas and ethanol. SKY can let you know what year the resin was
    changed to allow the ethanol. It is a concern. and might/could require a fuel tank change.
    Maybe the marinas have only ethanol free gas.
    Thanks, Toronto. Sorry I'm new here, I'm assuming SKY is another user?

We're actually going to be across Ontario from you, in Wilson, NY. I agree with the diesel notion of it being the better power package for these boats, but also know what we're really going to be using this as. A lot of which will be trolling and slow cruises with the family around the lake, and maybe up to Erie for a little bit each summer. The longest trip would be to the canal system of NY or ON, and for those sort of trips, I'll just swipe plastic and let future Ryan worry about the fuel bill. It will likely not even be every year.

Longevity of the older 454's is a concern but they're also somewhat cheap to rebuild. I can do all of the maintenance myself, so not worried there. Just keeping them running as long as possible is the plan. I'm looking at a fresh water 36 with 1700 hours, figure a bit more than half worn out on motors, for low 30K's. To me that seems like a solid price, if it indeed is as clean as the pictures show.

Even at the crap mileage a run over to Toronto and back, something that we would do somewhat often when the world opens back up, will only be a couple hundred bucks in fuel for a fun weekend. Yes diesel would be ideal, but I'm shying away from the expensive with our limited use as of now.

I don't think you will get 3000 hours on those gas motors. 2000 maybe.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.