On 6/18 our diver cleaned our bottoms. Water stayed flat glass calm at 90 plus degrees for 10 days. Came home and I used the 46 and sons took the 34 out fishing. Both boats ran hot and performed sluggish which cut our days short. On the 46 I even got a low oil pressure "beep" from alarm dropping off plane.

Taught my sons how to change impellers on the 34. Simple because I have Tony's replacements. Also serviced the Good Automatic Windlass. Super easy to service because it is made right and out of the right materials. Only tools needed are snap ring tool and one size allen wrench. Turns out the rusty chain is what is preventing freefall. Will replace and old rode becomes more long hurricane lines. I drove the boat today and what a beast. Forgot as I have been on the 46 lately. With classic 34 Hatteras hull mated to simple high torque 6BTA Cummins of "only" 270HP it's like a speed boat! 25 MPH at 2200 RPM. All at well over 1 MPG. What's not to like?

On the 46 with DD day after cleaning on the 18th had my mechanic on board. Changed fuel filters and off we ran to check RPM's and temps to establish baseline. All goes well with temps but there is certainly an issue airside on port, not getting full RPM's. But not bad. Anyway after 10 days of sitting in roasting stagnant water we go to use on the 27th and notice problems. Have heard that 8-92 cooling is marginal at best and it seems so. With everything clean and running good temps were perfect. Oil was changed, bottom and running gear cleaned and all is well again. Get an new bottom job next month so that will keep us clean the rest of the summer months.

Anyway, it feels great to own and run these grand old boats. The 34 needs a lot of work at this point but being what it is it is so rewarding to constantly repair/replace/upgrade. It was junk when I got it, renewed in 96, repowered in 98, painted in 08, and she's ready for more love. But the boys are on the hook now!