Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

53 MY Forward Cabin Door Frame Disassembly (1978]

Hi HOFer’s,

Can someone share here the steps to disassemble the door Frame from from the galley to the forward cabin?

we need a full 25-inches of clearance to replace the laundry appliance- and the frame needs to come out.

I think that I see small finish nails holding the frame pieces to the plywood... what’s the best way to remove them?

The frame pieces looks like a solid teak 2-by-3 with a chamfer that clamshells the the wall plywood... anyone?

thank You

Chuck
    Captain Chuck Bullett; W1AEK
    Chartmaker 1978 53MY Hull #522
    On-Air 2014 31 Benetau Oceanis Sloop
    chuckbullett@gmail.com

Re: 53 MY Forward Cabin Door Frame Disassembly (1978]

Chuck, have you checked the measurements of the forward hatch. My old washer and dryer and my new ones fit down that forward hatch, close but did fit. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Chuck, have you checked the measurements of the forward hatch. My old washer and dryer and my new ones fit down that forward hatch, close but did fit. John
    Thanks John-

That's certainly a possibility, if I remove all of the trim and the hatch lid. The rough opening measurements work.

Getting the units on an off the foredeck? I don't have a davit crane there but I do aft. I may put Chartmaker into the ways at a local yard and hire some muscle there. The new Lazyboy Sofa and Frigidaire Refrigerator came in through the aft deck using a fork lift on my last haul-out. That was awesome.

So the dryer portion of the old laundry center is in the back of my SUV ready for the scrap yard. its depth was suitable for going out the pilot house sliding doors comfortably.
    The washer is either coming out in parts or through some creative carpentry on the doorway or the hatch, or both.

This is the last of the appliance renewal's... all others have been replaced in recent years.

Thanks Again
    chuckbullett@gmail.com

What fridge did you get? Did you go down the stairs? I have been having issues with my fridge part not cooling very well.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Chuck if you have access to a yacht club with a crane for launching trailer boats that is how we got ours in and out, just pulled up to the dock and used the crane, super easy.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

FWIW, on my 1987 63' MY, the frames are brad nailed and glued in. Removing them would be difficult without damaging the plywood veneer. If you go that route, be sure and use a utility knife to cut thru the veneer at the margin of the door frame, top and sides, on both sides.

A few years ago I helped a neighbor dropping a washer thru the forward hatch on a 58. Lot easier and faster than going thru the stairs. We did it manually, no crane. 3 or 4 of us I believe.

That said In many places you can use a crane service if you can get to a dock the crane can access. The guy I used at the yard during my repower does this all over Miami for generators etc. couple of hundred bucks at th most
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

34074332-83F4-4648-942C-E8E7B9090663.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    What fridge did you get? Did you go down the stairs? I have been having issues with my fridge part not cooling very well.
    Frigidaire FGTR1837TF2- that was quite the ordeal too.
    chuckbullett@gmail.com