Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Disaster Averted (Almost)

July 3rd wasn't a good day for Aslan. While below in the morning, I heard engines close aboard where they should not be heard. I ran to the guest cabin to see only hull through the port light. As I grabbed hold--crunch! A newbie on a trawler got sideways in the famous St. Johns current. Naturally, he goosed it. And, he almost pulled it off.

Thinking no one was aboard, he attempted his getaway. I say attempted, after all it was a trawler. So after being identified as a marina tenant, he admitted the contact and said the had tried to contact me before moving off. Trouble was multiple witnesses saw the contact and saw him scoot. Maybe he was just maintaining radio silence. Fortunately for everyone, it was only a foot long gouge just above the rub rail--easily fixable. The marina management let him know it was make good or get the boot. So, he came over and agreed to my extremely generous cash figure but tried to stick to his no hit-and-run story. So I called BS and said I'd just file a claim with his insurance. The meek shall inherit the earth--all of a sudden sometimes.

Later that same day...

The junker 25' sailboat next to me just sold to a young man who's never sailed and never owned a boat. The motor was hydro locked, and he, along with his dad and nephew, decided to pull it.

A few hours later, I looked out the window and saw this.
    Unknown-1.jpg
    He had a chain hoist on the boom and planned to haul the motor up and swing it out onto the dock! I mean this thing is old, and who knows the condition of that mast, boom or stays?

Whoa there! You know once that iron starts swinging and the boat starts a tilting.... Well, if that motor gets loose and bounces over in my cockpit... or if that mast breaks and cuts my boat in two, you know I'm gonna go absolutely ape s#@&!

Well, he says that's the only way he can get the motor off the boat. So? What's that got to do with me? I could just see it, rammed in the morning and impaled in the afternoon.

His dad, obviously a man of great wisdom and understanding, saw it from my point of view. As a result, I saw his point of view. Having a good supply of Tylenol and Advil onboard, I grabbed my portion of the motor (and gear) and we got it over the side and on the dock. An hour later, I was again able to stand erect without help.

Kinda makes you wonder what goes on here when you're not around.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Disaster Averted (Almost)

Well, that'll keep you from sitting on Amazon spending money.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Larger boats make good fenders. I was changing the batteries one day when a nice looking Sea Ray express laid up against our bow pulpit when the tide got him. If you've ever been to Sunset Bay Marina in Stuart you know it hauls through the marina.
    He wasn't getting anywhere fast because this was his first boat (at least it seemed that way). I had to instruct him how to work the levers to get off of us. We knew the man because he was the owner of the restaurant there. I guess I might have gotten a free meal if I hadn't f bombed him.
    But he did make good on the repairs.
    Regards
    Dan

Oh the first-world problems of marina life. You also have to talk to neighbors and listen to their BS....no desire for that.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Thanks for the heads up.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Oh the first-world problems of marina life. You also have to talk to neighbors and listen to their BS....no desire for that.
    That is why we had to build our own dock in the swamp.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    That is why we had to build our own dock in the swamp.
    What's the record on thru-hulls anyway? I think you may have it.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    What's the record on thru-hulls anyway? I think you may have it.
    I see you know these builds.

Yes, I think I have the factory record boat with thru hulls. 4 state room and 4 head model originally. A thru-hull and sea cock for every option (if you had it or not) plus... 2 for every head.
    Every devise has it's own thru hull(s). Two gen-sets and two water makers also.
    10 years ago I replaced every dam, old, leaking, pos, sea cock & dam again thru-hull with new backing plates.
    With all the A/Cs running, the boat wants to thrust sideways because of all the freaking A/C discharges on the port side. A lil twist motion when two more A/Cs dump on stb.

I think I just paid that credit card off a year or so ago.
    I had a Go-Fund-me site made, but it was deleted for lack of viewers. FM...

LOL..
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 07-05-2020 at 08:27 PM.

I have kept my boat at the Ft Pierce city marina for the past year. The current there rips throug very fast. I have had 2 sail boats and one newer Viking try spinning to back into a slip to get sideways in the current and have my pulpit go through the salon windows. They have to sit like that until the tide changes. The sail boaters were really nice and paid for repairs. the Viking owner was driving, not his captain, and bailed. About 5 grand worth of gouges and haul out fees to fix the boat. He is a real prick, having a hard time with him. I do not want to call my insurance company, 7 grand deductible, and even if they make him pay, I still a claim here at hurricane season.

Bringing the boat back to Daytona in September. Ft. Pierce is a beautiful marina, but tired of getting hit. I have changed slips 3 times, but I guess I am a magnet.

Have a great week,
    Tim
    Fishtales 65c

The way the insurance market is right now I would not submit a claim. You could go to small claims court is walking distance from the marina. I think it’s up to 12k
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present