Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: New Starting Bank 8V71Ti

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Flag terminals? Because automotive terminals are worthless.
    Why do you say automotive terminals are worthless? Apart from having an extra connection to keep clean and tight, it would seem to me that the contact area around a battery post would actually be greater than a flag terminal. I'm not arguing. I'm genuinely curious. I just bought a Lifeline AGM 8D last week with an L-blade flag terminal because I like the simplicity, but from a current flow perspective, I don't understand the down side.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    Why do you say automotive terminals are worthless? Apart from having an extra connection to keep clean and tight, it would seem to me that the contact area around a battery post would actually be greater than a flag terminal. I'm not arguing. I'm genuinely curious. I just bought a Lifeline AGM 8D last week with an L-blade flag terminal because I like the simplicity, but from a current flow perspective, I don't understand the down side.
    I've seen more melted automotive terminals than flag over the years. OEM terminals were heavy flag terminals.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    Yeah, I was about to say. 8v195's are only rated at 980 CCA. And they are hooked up in series, so the amps are still 980. But that makes sense now, 1900 at 12v.

The 16v racing batteries should actually work, 4 of them at least, in series and in parallel. And they only weigh ~40 lbs each. And have a 12v tap. Longevity though?
    1900 amps at 12 volts is the same watts as 712.5 amps at 32 volts.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    That’s at 12 volts. He’s got 32 volts.
    Guess I should read more carefully.

Anyway, I cracked open the Detroit service data book again, and interestingly it calls for 950 CCA above 32F° for both 24V and 32V systems.

1250 CCA below 32°F in case you're planning on ice boating.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Hi All;

Continuing the discussion about cranking amp requirements. The 11-4-1 8-Volt 4d's I just put in are rated at 145A for 20 Hours. Four of them in series are still only 145AH... for 20 hours!

The 16V Batts are a different breed, rated for 950A for 15 seconds. http://www.atiracing.com/products/batteries/index.html. More study is needed, and maybe a call to the manufacturer's support team to ask about alternator charging.

As someone pointed out here the 12V tap make for possibilities. Again- we have more options now in battery strategy. The 12 Volt taps? Very cool. I have 12V and 24V banks on board for various appliances and for a huge Lofren windlass. Those all have their own chargers. Using the 12V tap for instrumentation instead of relying on the newmar DC-DC converters is an interesting notion... a lot of rewiring (and documentation).

There are perhaps as many as 8 Newmar DC-to-DC Converters on board too... I see lots of retirement projects ahead.

So many options...

So yes, in the end, we'll probably try to buy some more 4d's and call it good (and shutup).

The 16V batteries are rated as a starting battery only, the rated ampacity draw "metric" is entirely different. But can they turn over a 9-Liter V8? Absolutely.
    Captain Chuck Bullett; W1AEK
    Chartmaker 1978 53MY Hull #522
    On-Air 2014 31 Benetau Oceanis Sloop
    chuckbullett@gmail.com

The 20 hour rating is for deep cycle comparisons and has nothing to do with CCA. CCA is how much current the battery can supply in a short amount of time (usually 30 seconds), Amp-hours is how long the battery can output a certain current.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by chuckbullett@gmail.com View Post
    Hi All;

Continuing the discussion about cranking amp requirements. The 11-4-1 8-Volt 4d's I just put in are rated at 145A for 20 Hours. Four of them in series are still only 145AH... for 20 hours!

The 16V Batts are a different breed, rated for 950A for 15 seconds. http://www.atiracing.com/products/batteries/index.html. More study is needed, and maybe a call to the manufacturer's support team to ask about alternator charging.

As someone pointed out here the 12V tap make for possibilities. Again- we have more options now in battery strategy. The 12 Volt taps? Very cool. I have 12V and 24V banks on board for various appliances and for a huge Lofren windlass. Those all have their own chargers. Using the 12V tap for instrumentation instead of relying on the newmar DC-DC converters is an interesting notion... a lot of rewiring (and documentation).

There are perhaps as many as 8 Newmar DC-to-DC Converters on board too... I see lots of retirement projects ahead.

So many options...

So yes, in the end, we'll probably try to buy some more 4d's and call it good (and shutup).

The 16V batteries are rated as a starting battery only, the rated ampacity draw "metric" is entirely different. But can they turn over a 9-Liter V8? Absolutely.
    The 145Ah rating in't really applicable. The 16v could certainly start the engines. I was thinking 4 of them for each engine, in parallel and in series. You would get 32v and double the amps. However, even in that setup (4 batteries), you still wouldn't have the capacity of the larger batteries in terms of how many times or for how long you could try to start the engines. Mine start very quick. Even a pair of 16v batteries would do it, but I would rather have at least 4.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I know nothing. I'm not an electrical engineer. So, I just go with what the original engineers did. And that seems to work great.
    I appreciate your thinking, but I have to ask: What would the engineers have done 40-50 years ago if they had todays technology available?"
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    I appreciate your thinking, but I have to ask: What would the engineers have done 40-50 years ago if they had todays technology available?"
    Used 12 or 24v
    Sky Cheney

12v taps on a 16v battery are for only very minimal draw. If you use it for more than that, it will put an imbalance in the cells and it will not charge properly. One cell will continually be overcharged.

Go ahead and try it then let us know when they fail in 3-4 years. My 10 year old start bank may still be going by then.
    Sky Cheney