Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Repairing Water Tank on 65 Hatteras Sportfish

Guys I really appreciate all the info, I am going to try to work on it next week when i get down to her to see if I can find the leak. Thanks to all.

This is not quite about this thread, but it seems the fuel tanks are made much stronger. I have not heard of a problem. Last week we were topping off the fuel tanks , the tanker driver mentioned that he was pumping at 45 gallons per minute. I don’t know if this rate is true, but it didn’t cause any problem. He might have meant to say 4 or 5 gallons per minute. At any rate, 600 gal and it didn’t take long.
    Last edited by jmooney; 07-01-2020 at 03:04 PM.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    This is not quite about this thread, but it seems the fuel tanks are made much stronger. I have not heard of a problem. Last week we were topping off the fuel tanks , the tanker driver mentioned that he was pumping at 45 gallons per minute. I don’t know if this rate is true, but it didn’t cause any problem. He might have meant to say 4 or 5 gallons per minute. At any rate, 600 gal and it didn’t take long.
    Strongly hoping that applies to holding takes too. 45 probably right. Low speed diesel pumps at marinas around here top out about 18 GPM, usually less. I know to pack a lunch when I take-on fuel. High speed pumps were I used to fill my fuel truck were north of 50 GPM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Following...

I have a leak on my 1968 41C I have not been able to find yet. The strange thing is when it gets overfilled, it takes in saltwater. Probably from the bilge. It is mounted down the center of the engine room. I'm thinking it is in the rear under the generator. If I don't fill it all the way up, I don't notice any leaks. The salt has trashed my icemaker :-(

Jim Bone
    Mermaid

JMooney, Did you access the top of the keel tank by cutting the floor outside the master head, which is the dressing area on our 63MY? I have measured the tank drawings and the keel tank measures 7’ 4” by 3’ 2”. Does that sound close to yours?

John McCarley
    Water Colors
    Wrightsville Beach NC

I cut the hatch just in front of our bed , about 3 inches, hatch is approximately 16 inches square. As your boat is 2 feet longer you might have to move forward. I have a factory hatch over the front of the tank as I am sure you do too. You could look forward through the hatch for the shower sump. This would let you know where the rear end of the water tank is located. Also the floor (sole) is 1.5 inches thick in this area , it is two pieces of 3/4 plywood. When you cut the hatch only cut 3/4 inches deep, remove this top piece and then cut the lower hole smaller so you have support for the new hatch . If you need to fiberglass a leak , do a much larger area than you need along the seam. Your dimensions seem right , our tank is approximately 210 gal.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

I found the leak. As some of you said, I could hear the air escaping as the tank got close to full. My leak is on the starboard side outboard of the fill, overflow and draw pipe works.

Now for access.....On my 63, there is a false wall outside the inboard bulkhead of the master head. It has a curved radius the entire height of the aft end.See picture. I see screws across the bottom of the panel. Anyone know if I remove the screws at the bottom, I can slide the lower edge away and free the entire panel?

UPDATE: I opened the floor above most of the tank. The seams around the edges showed no cracks. Upon slowly refilling again and listening/looking carefully, I found 2 very small leaks in the top of the tank. These appear to be air bubbles in the original fiberglas construction, that eventually ruptured on the top side of the bubbles. Easy fix with some glass and
    surfboard cloth. Tank seems to be holding water. The worst part of job was using circular saw to cut flooring sections to gain tank access.
    John

John McCarley
    Water Colors
    Wrightsville Beach NC
    Attached Images
    Last edited by divert00; 08-16-2020 at 08:40 PM.