Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: 1972 Hatteras 45 Convertible Refit

You can fix the edge of the blade with a block of wood and a short handle sledge hammer. Just hold block firmly behind the blade and tap the ding with the hammer. Once that side is flat reverse the block and tap from that side. I have done this many times on haulout where no vibration was felt but I wanted to fix but had no need to send props out.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Tap it out as noted. It's likely to be fine.

With regard to the decks, find a product similar to Awlgrip (Sterling, Imron, maybe?- a two part linear polyurethane) that you can roll and tip, or just roll, which would be the preferred method on your decks. As long as you sand them and wash them off with acetone or some other degreaser, it will stick fine. The blue is a good idea if paints yellow, where you are. But a painted deck with nonskid in it will hold up as well as anything else, and it will be a lot cheaper.

Just about any 2 part paint will work, same stuff that goes on commercial vehicles/equipment and or cars.

I'm not a big fan of the foam decking products either, except for on outboard bracket decks, cooler tops and bottoms and other similar type spots.
    Friend just did the bridge deck of a large 2 year old Viking, guy was so proud, just couldn't tell him that he destroyed his $3mil boat.
    Seadeck and similar products eventually degrade due to UV exposure. If you're going the glue down route check the temperature rating of the adhesive that's being used.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Thank you all for your sound advice. In all cases we are postponing the decking issue so as not to delay the completion of the refit project.

Just as an update, today we completed most of the vinyl film wrap and I wanted to share an initial image with you. I would expect that many would rather stick to the original white hull. I hope some might find the new look appealing as well.

Thanks,
    Karim
    Attached Images

Hello, I'm seeking your guidance if anyone can help me find the source for lights that are in the topside of the hull.

There are 2 in the bow and 2 in the stern. They are all 29cm (11.42”) wide and 22cm (8.66”) high. Each light has an independent switch. They are in bad shape and I believe it is worthwhile replacing them. Perhaps new models come in LED and more energy efficient.

Thank,
    Karim

Docking Lights 12volts update: I found the following information...

MORSE TYPE-C E-9304 U.S. PAT No. 2504866

Will now search for replacement and upgrade to LED if possible.

Thanks,
    Karim

Love the wrap, can't wait to see how it holds up.
    How do they handle the water line stripes, etc?

Looks like the Morse docking lights are being made by Sierra now.
    Here's the link to their catalogue. Doesn't show an LED option, book is from 2019.
    Maybe email them if LED is now or soon to be available.

http://sierramarine.com/sierra/2019/...alog.html#p=62
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Love the wrap, can't wait to see how it holds up.
    How do they handle the water line stripes, etc?

Looks like the Morse docking lights are being made by Sierra now.
    Here's the link to their catalogue. Doesn't show an LED option, book is from 2019.
    Maybe email them if LED is now or soon to be available.

http://sierramarine.com/sierra/2019/...alog.html#p=62
    Thanks Cricket for all your help. The technicians applying the vinyl film are adding silicon to the edges. It should hold well. They offer a guarantee of 3 years.

Labor cost is low in our case. To give you an idea the cost of wrapping the entire 45ft hull including material came to a total of $1,400.

If I'm not mistaken this is much cheaper than paint. We can wrap her again with the next antifouling job. (I hope that won't be necessary though.)

Thanks,
    Karim

Thanks to all the guidance I received here, I'm glad to share with you the completion of phase 1 of our refit. This covered:

- Engine repair and tune up
    - Anchor windlass repair
    - Added new swim platform
    - Hull works completed
    - Bonding system checked
    - Zinc anodes replaced
    - Propulsion system checked
    - Steering pump fixed
    - Rudders checked
    - Vinyl film applied
    - Antifouling paint

Prior to the antifouling paint we clocked a maximum of 8 knots at 2200 RPM. Today at the same engine speed we clocked 13 knots on a windy day. I would appreciate any thoughts regarding the performance of the 48 year old Detroit Diesel 8v71T engines.

Thanks,
    Karim

Think your speed is low for the engines.
    Used to run a similar 45 with 8v71N's back and forth from New Jersey to Florida in the early 80's when I was in school.
    What I remember is WOT was something like 19-20 knots and cruise at 1950-2000 rpm was 16 knots.
    The owner used to tell me to run it wide open all the time because he did.
    That's a long time ago so I could be off a little bit, somebody on here probably has 8v71TI data.

Also think you have to take into account high water temperature, makes a bigger difference than you would think.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns