Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Re: 1972 Hatteras 45 Convertible Refit

Looks great!
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Lookin Good!! it's always awesome to see an 'Ol Gal brought back from zombie status!!
    Last edited by rustybucket; 10-15-2020 at 10:00 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Bluearrow, can't remember if this came up earlier in your thread or not. Make sure you go over the exhaust system as they are often sort of forgotten, could be dry rotted hose, bad hose clamps, etc just waiting to ruin your day in the future.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Bluearrow, can't remember if this came up earlier in your thread or not. Make sure you go over the exhaust system as they are often sort of forgotten, could be dry rotted hose, bad hose clamps, etc just waiting to ruin your day in the future.
    Thank you all for your kind comments. We could not continue the work this weekend due to the lockdown. We will resume work hopefully on Sunday (our start of the work-week).

As for the exhaust system, I was directed to Marine Exhaust Systems. A fine company indeed. They require sending them the current exhaust to reproduce the same. That won’t make sense given the distance (10,684 km = 6639 miles) and time. I will opt to go with local fabrication instead.

Thanks,
    Karim

You are in Jordan? I must have missed that. Wow!
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 10-16-2020 at 08:10 PM.
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    You are in Jordan? I must have missed that. Wow!
    Yes Sir! Being here in Aqaba-Jordan presents a whole set of challenges for a refit, especially for availability of parts and components as well as skills and experience in this space. Nonetheless, it has been an exciting project thus far. Hoping we will bring it to completion in the next few weeks.

One item that's non-core to the functionality of the boat is decking. We were considering a European supplier, but now we are looking at Seadeck and trying to get a similar effect to the image here:

https://www.castawaycustoms.com/wp-c...OVER-BLACK.jpg

Since it's cosmetic and we will need to take exact measurements, we opted not to delay the rest of the project and to order those custom-made sheets when we complete changes to some of the deck flooring such as replacing the hatches and adding a mezzanine seat in the cockpit.

Thanks,
    Karim

Personally I don't really care for any deck covering materials. They can look nice but its hard to beat the durability of the painted textured non-skid Awlgrip.
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Personally I don't really care for any deck covering materials. They can look nice but its hard to beat the durability of the painted textured non-skid Awlgrip.
    So you're not a fan of teak decking either. The Seadek material seems more environmentally friendly and less costly.

Awlgrip is a product by AkzoNobel which unfortunately is not available here. Moreover, we seem to lack considerable skill in painting yachts. Some of the white paint turns yellow with scorching sun exposure. Some owners mixed the white paint with a touch of blue to avoid this yellowing effect.

In all cases, I opted to go with the vinyl wrap option for the topside of the hull in navy blue. This will be applied tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed that it will turn out okay. It might take an extra day to complete. Will send you images when done.

For this reason, I'm going with sticky material to avoid the problems that we might get with quality of paint and workmanship.

Thanks,
    Karim

Update: The vinyl wrap installation started today. Hopefully it will be completed tomorrow. will upload photos in due course.

This will be followed by the second coat of antifouling paint and launching the boat.

In the meantime, we were cleaning and checking the propellers and noticed a small dent. Not sure how significant this dent is and what impact it will have. I'm told that it will be noticed at high speeds which I doubt we will be achieving given her age.

Does it warrant replacing the propeller which is at least USD 4,000? And in this case would you replace both propellers? BTW one shaft is slightly shorter than the other by 1.5cm. Not sure if that should be a concern as well.

Thanks,
    Karim

I think I would run it. If there is any slight issue, you can always address it later.
    Sky Cheney