Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Re: 1972 Hatteras 45 Convertible Refit

Furthermore, I'm considering replacing the gauges and switches at the helm on the flybridge. One of the options from VDO - now Veratron is to install an AcquaLink engine box that converts analog signals to NMEA2000 standard.

Do you know if old Hatteras yachts with Detroit Diesel 8V71T have gone down that track? Is it worth upgrading to NMEA2000?

Thanks,
    Karim

I would just replace the original analog gauges with the same type of instruments. They worked fine for years. A set of mechanical gauges in the engine areas would be nice, like water temp and oil pressure plumbed directly into the engines. Our former member MikeP did that, they were very useful.

What you did with the generator is impressive. Quite an improvement.

RAC, I DID say no matter what you charge, it would be worth it. You have to admit that. And you have the best looking engine room of anyone here. You have to admit that, too.

Thanks Jim for the advice and your generous words. I will see if we can add gauges in the engine room.

The analog gauges would be one less thing to worry about in case of any electrical fault. On the other hand, I was considering adding a new chart plotter and depth finder which we do not have. As such, this would move us to the digital world.

The temptation is that it allows me to monitor her operation even remotely and make sure the engine service is running on schedule and avoid the neglect that got us to this stage to start with.

As always, I'm open to all your guidance and recommendations.

All the best,
    Karim

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I would just replace the original analog gauges with the same type of instruments. They worked fine for years. A set of mechanical gauges in the engine areas would be nice, like water temp and oil pressure plumbed directly into the engines. Our former member MikeP did that, they were very useful. What you did with the generator is impressive. Quite an improvement. RAC, I DID say no matter what you charge, it would be worth it. You have to admit that. And you have the best looking engine room of anyone here. You have to admit that, too.
    Jim,You did and I have the right to remain silent.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I dunno. That primer plug looked a bit on the grungy side.

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/at...1&d=1594664520
    Last edited by Dan Mapes; 07-23-2020 at 06:30 PM.
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    I dunno. That primer plug looked a bit on the grungy side.

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/at...1&d=1594664520
    Ewwww!
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

He does need to get right on that, now that you pointed it out....

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArrow View Post
    Thanks Jim for the advice and your generous words. I will see if we can add gauges in the engine room.

The analog gauges would be one less thing to worry about in case of any electrical fault. On the other hand, I was considering adding a new chart plotter and depth finder which we do not have. As such, this would move us to the digital world.

The temptation is that it allows me to monitor her operation even remotely and make sure the engine service is running on schedule and avoid the neglect that got us to this stage to start with.

As always, I'm open to all your guidance and recommendations.

All the best,
    Karim
    Typical of any major yacht refit there are always limitations on time and money. Creating a digital engine monitoring system where you only have analog gauges right now may turn out to be a significant undertaking that will ultimately take time and money away from the rest of your refit.

If you're going to go digital, I'd leave that project for last. Also keep in mind that marine electronics technology changes at a pretty quick pace, so whatever you buy now for a chart plotter will be obsolete in three years. Best to make that one of your last purchases in a refit so you're buying the latest technology.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    I dunno. That primer plug looked a bit on the grungy side. https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/at...1&d=1594664520
    Fake news. That’s a Dottieshusband pic.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I had a hunch that was the case LOL.
    Regards
    Dan