Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: 1972 Hatteras 45 Convertible Refit

Thank you all for your encouragement, support and advice. I'm glad to report that we've made progress in fixing the IDEAL anchor windlass which is operational now. Here is a link to a video on DropBox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/scvwg4vqpghc4mj/Blue Arrow Video 20200715 Anchor Windlass Operational.mp4?dl=0

I also managed to contact Ms. Joy Ruel of Schaefer Marine who acquired IDEAL. Currently they provide parts and service for those products. Extremely supportive and cooperative. Now that the old windlass is working, I'm not sure I need to buy a new motor or keep one on stand by.

Finally, I'm seeking the services of DLBA, Naval Architects who are kindly assisting us with a reconfiguration of the General Arrangement for the salon and cockpit. They will be looking at the transition between the two open areas as well as giving consideration to the structural support of the flybridge now that we have removed the aft bulkhead.

Once again, thank you all for your wise counsel and guidance. Greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images

Following is an update image of the engines after we got them up and running. I know this is cosmetic, but I thought it is a good start to have a clean engine room and neat engines. Working on the port engine. We used spray paint that can tolerate very high temperatures.

I'm wondering if you have any suggestions on the best treatment for the engine room walls and floor. Do we just use white paint or is there an adhesive silver film that would make it look sharper and easier to maintain clean.

Thanks
    Attached Images

If you can get it clean enough for pain to stick, paint it. Getting an old engine room clean is maybe the hardest job on bringing a boat back to life.

Or you could pay RAClarkson a fortune to fly out and do it. No matter what he charges, it's well worth it.

Working on the cleaning and painting job. I would imagine it would end up better than the previous state. I wish I could afford to fly out RAClarkson to do the professional job needed.

In the meantime, we started removing the rust from the Cummins Onan generator. Keeping fingers crossed that we could get it to start again. Will keep you posted.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    If you can get it clean enough for pain to stick, paint it. Getting an old engine room clean is maybe the hardest job on bringing a boat back to life.

Or you could pay RAClarkson a fortune to fly out and do it. No matter what he charges, it's well worth it.
    Thanks, Jim. Very generous of you to offer my services!

Blue, I started with Rust-Oleum Top Sides High Gloss white for engine room walls and non-ER bilges five years ago. I have no complaints. A thorough cleaning was all that was necessary. Adhesion, gloss and cleanability have remained excellent. So, that's an oil based paint that's easy to work with and a good value.

I wasn't as happy with the product in the engine beds and central aisle; adhesion was good, but it dulled easily. There, I went with Interlux Perfection two-part in Snow White. It's harder to work with and requires a respirator, but it maintains its gloss and is about impervious to oil or diesel meaning it's also easy to clean. Using the correct thinner and roller is absolutely critical. Matter of fact, I painted the interior of a badly scratched and etched Galley Maid toilet bowl over a year ago and it's an absolute joy to use...uh...the paint I mean.

IMG_1692.jpg
    Racors are next.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Hello Robert,

Thank you for your sound advice. I doubt that our engine room will come anywhere close to yours, which is impeccable. Beautiful dog!

I will share the photos as we complete the cleaning and spray painting. Given the limited resource and scarce qualified professionals, we are making do with what we can.

Cheers,
    Karim

I see determination and hard work. You'll get there.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Thank you for your continued support! Today we removed the 48-year-old Frigidaire side-by-side refrigerator and freezer!

Would you recommend installing the same style fridge in the galley?

Having two small doors instead of one big one serves opening the fridge door 90 degrees in the small passage area from the salon to the galley.

Many thanks,
    Karim

PS. I thought you might be interested in the text below for memories sake...

This is the OCR of text inside the fridge door:

Model FPCI -165VS
    Frost-Proof Refrigerator-Freezer

Description: This 16.5 cu. ft." side-by-side refrigerator-freezer is 100% Frost-Proof. 10.46 cu. ft." storage space in refrigerator section; 6.04 cu. ft. * freezer is rated at 211 lbs. storage. 22.8 sq. ft. * net shelf area.
    * Certified correct by AHAM

Special Features: 16.5 cu. ft. of storage space in a cabinet only 30 inches wide • Full width 7-day Meat Tender holds up to 18.8 lbs. • Sliding basket in freezer • Adjustable shelf and sliding shelf in refrigerator section • 3 Flex-Quik ice trays hold 16 cubes each • Removable Ice Server holds 59 cubes (4 3/4 lbs.)

Basic Features: Separate infinite-position Refrigerator and Freezer Controls provide temperature flexibility • Flowing Cold chills every corner evenly • Upfront interior light in both sections • Full-width Hydrator holds up to 17.7 qts. of fruits of fruits and vegetables • Twin removable egg servers hold 12 eggs each • Special compartments: Cheese ‘N Snacks, Spreads • Deep door shelf for ½-gal. cartons • Frig-Foam insulation • Non-clog condenser never needs cleaning

Safety Features: Listed by U. L. re 3-wire service cord and grounding plug • OFF position on Refrigerator Control • Magnetic door seals— doors open from inside or outside.

Finishes: Acrylic enamel exterior • Stain-resistant one-piece interior (ABS) • Porcelain-on-steel Hydrator and Meat Tender • Steel Shelves • Wood-tone door handles • Exterior available in Harvest Gold Avocado, Colonial Copper, and Snowcrest White

Accessories (at extra charge): “Add-On” Automatic Ice Maker (IMK-2) • Built-in Trim kit (Kit No. EM-24572)

Installation: Must be installed 1-1/4” from wall on either side for 90° door openings • Must be installed 2-3/4” from wall on right and 2-1/2” from wall on left for fully usable interior • Allow 2” above top for air circulation (4” for recessed installation) • Allow ½” between wall and condenser on back • Water connection required for Automatic Ice Maker accessory • Separate 3-wire Grounded circuit required • Installation Should conform to national and local electrical codes (also plumbing codes for Ice Maker accessory)

Electrical Characteristics: Operate on 115 volts 60 Hz., A.C, 5.8 amps

Dimensions: 65-7/8” high • 30” wide • 29-3/4” deep (door closed); 44-3/4” deep with right-hand door opened 90° 39-3/4” deep for left hand door • Approx. net weight 277 lbs
    Attached Images

I recommend you keep the 48 year old fridge. Way better than anything you can buy today.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Thanks for the advice. We'll work on repairing the fridge and see how that goes.

In the meantime the work on the GenSet is undergoing. It was hoisted this morning and repair works will be continued on shore. Will keep you posted on our progress.
    Attached Images