Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: 1972 Hatteras 45 Convertible Refit

If it runs well, it will cost you a great deal less to clean it up and service it than it will to buy a new one. If you decide on a new one, stick to Northern Lights or Kohler. Also look in boatsandharbors.com to see if you can find a recent takeout, you might save a lot of money doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    If you decide on a new one, stick to Northern Lights or Kohler.
    After researching the availability of parts/expertise for them in THAT part of the world. I recall Fisher-Pandas being the staple in Europe.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Don’t, whatever you do buy a 3600 rpm Fisher Panda you will hate yourself. They are really quiet but do not hold up at all. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Boy is that true. The cooling coils corrode in salt water and the next thing you know the whole set is toast.

I have a 1972 38DC that was refit with Cummins Diesel engines, new generator, mechanical, etc. It was a great investment.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArrow View Post
    We are progressing well with the refit. We've reached the generator stage. The original was fitted back in 1972:

Onan
    15.0 MDJF-3CR/2268C

The generator was replaced in 1999 and has broke down a few years ago has the following details:

Onan
    15MDKAD
    SPEC: 66906A
    J943237874

I've attached some images and I'm seeking your guidance whether I should invest the time, effort and cost to fix a 21-year old generator or replace it with a new model? I would appreciate your suggestions regarding a recommended brand. Thanks
    We've got the original Kohler generator on our 1972 Chris Craft. Since parts were getting harder and harder to find, we actually bought another generator identical to ours as a parts unit. I think we paid $350.00 and have already replaced several parts from the spare unit. Worked out nicely.

If you're considering a replacement unit, I'd go with Northern Lights (new or used) or Kohler/Onan pre-circuit board vintage which may wind up being in the same time frame as the unit you already have.

Also it may be worthwhile to do a little more homework on the unit you have right now if you need engine parts. Virtually all of the generator manufacturers source their engines from third parties such as Yanmar, Isuzu, Kubota or John Deere, to name a few. These same engines were used in tractors, zero turn lawnmowers, and reefer units, so depending on the engine type, you may be able to buy parts either online, at a tractor dealer or reefer repair facility, usually for much less money than a marine application.

One final comment. That 45 Ft. Hatteras is iconic and I don't know about others but for me back in the day that boat defined the very best of large sport boats. Literally gave definition to the term "battle wagon" as it related to boats. Kudos to you for bringing the old girl back to life and you should be as proud (maybe more so) than the guy who just wrote a fat check for a brand new one.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Thank you all for your generous comments. Greatly appreciated. Very proud of this project. I hope I do not disappoint many by changing the configuration.

I wanted to share with you that we had the first sea trials today. I'm not sure how to upload videos here or if you can in the first place. I'm adding them to DropBox for those who are interested.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wneh8hj02c...00711.mp4?dl=0

The good news is that the engines clocked 2500 RPM. The starboard engine tachometer gauge is not working properly. Will need to replace all gauges and switches.
    Attached Images

I don't know where you plan to get your new gauges/senders, etc, but you should look at Isspro, on the USA West Coast. Very knowledgeable and I think I have had Isspro tachometers in my Hatteras for fifteen years, now.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I don't know where you plan to get your new gauges/senders, etc, but you should look at Isspro, on the USA West Coast. Very knowledgeable and I think I have had Isspro tachometers in my Hatteras for fifteen years, now.
    I'm in touch with a couple of suppliers:

New Wire Marine
    https://newwiremarine.com/

I
    've ordered from them rocker switches in the past for another newer boat and they were great. They might not be as experienced with analogue gauges and classic switches.

AC DC Marine Inc.
    https://acdcmarineinc.com/

I found them by searching for gauges for the Detroit Diesel 8V71T engines and found that they have done similar work.

I will see what each supplier proposes and what works best for the helm and dashboard we have. I will contact Isspro and see what they offer.

I'm not sure why there are 3 switches for the anchor. Forgive me for the oil stains and the deteriorated wood panels. Thanks

Video looked pretty good!
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay