Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: 1972 Hatteras 45 Convertible Refit

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Is there a design school local to you? Would be a nice graduating project for someone, or a team of students. With faculty assistance maybe?
    There are several design schools, but I do not believe that any would focus on marine, naval or boat design. I will explore nonetheless. Thanks for the suggestion.

You need to support the fly bridge deck right away so it doesn't sag since the aft bulkhead has been removed.
    As others have posted, you need to sort out the mechanical and also the AC and DC electrical systems (especially the bonding) before getting into the interior work.
    Next up would be the leaking window frames and repairing the damage the leaking water created.

You're looking at a really big project, good luck with the old girl moving forward.
    There's tons of good advice on here so keep asking, don't forget to post lots of pictures.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    You need to support the fly bridge deck right away so it doesn't sag since the aft bulkhead has been removed.
    As others have posted, you need to sort out the mechanical and also the AC and DC electrical systems (especially the bonding) before getting into the interior work.
    Next up would be the leaking window frames and repairing the damage the leaking water created.

You're looking at a really big project, good luck with the old girl moving forward.
    There's tons of good advice on here so keep asking, don't forget to post lots of pictures.
    Thanks for the sound advice. Greatly appreciated. Will make sure we support the flybridge tomorrow, even-though the aft bulkhead we removed seemed thin and non-structural.

We're installing new batteries tomorrow and will attempt to start the engines. Will keep you posted on that front.

Regarding the electrical systems and wiring: I'm not too keen on rewiring the boat. We will minimize the electrical devices on board. We're cancelling the air conditioning, built in sound system, radio equipment, radar (already removed), oven, microwave and old fridge. We will install a new fridge and will need a couple of AC outlets for the wireless free-standing bluetooth speakers.

There's already damage from the window leakage. There are broken windows from a recent severe storm in March. I was hesitant to post more pictures so as not to bombard you. Some of them are horrific in terms of the deterioration that took place. I did not want to scare everyone here. Will select a few and share.

Quote Originally Posted by dsharp View Post
    What facilities are available to get her hauled out? It looks like it needs a bottom job before you start running it. What kind of shape is the fuel in? You might be better off to pump the tanks dry and start with clean fuel. Is the boat a galley up or down? They usually came with a fold out couch and a high/lo table in the salon. Replacing the headliner is a time consuming job but will make a big difference in the look of the boat. Make a plan and a budget and try to stick with it. Get the engine room sorted out first . You will probably want to replace the fuel lines and the hoses after you get the engines running. How mechanically inclined are you? The hardest part is keeping motivated to see it through to the end. Break the project down to the “systems” and try to finish one System before you move on to the next. I would think material supply is going to be an issue but I could be wrong.
    Thanks dsharp. The goal is to haul her out and do all the hull work. Attached is a photo from October 20, 2018 in Ayla https://www.ayla.com.jo/en/experience/marina-amenities/.

The first problem we faced was the starboard engine failure. Those are Detroit Diesels 8v71T. The last overhaul was carried out in 2003. I believe there was little utilization recently. I know that is not necessarily good for those engines.

Keeping fingers crossed that tomorrow we will start the engines. Once we do that, we will be able to dry dock and do the necessary works. Your advice is greatly appreciated. I've been working with dieselpro.com in identifying the spare parts needed. The immediate ones to operate and the spare parts to keep on standby for the future. In the past we replaced the raw-water pumps and the turbochargers.

We are motivated to get this through. I'm grateful for the guidance that I've been receiving here. Much appreciated!
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Thanks again for the excellent advice. Temporary support for the flybridge was added today.
    Attached Images

You might recall that the starboard engine would start and shutdown. Our team took it apart and reassembled it, cleaning many of the components in the process.

I'm glad to report that the starboard engine started today and is running again. I'm not sure if I can upload any videos here. In the meantime, here's the DropBox link if anyone is interested.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2luvf4d0js...58 PM.mp4?dl=0

I have to caution you that sadly there are disturbing images trash and debris in the water in this marina. I assure you it is not from our boat. Currently working with the marina managers to address this pollution issue.

Looks like you have access to a nice travel lift. When you haul it out get the bottom clean before it dries. If it has barnacles, and it probably does on the running gear don’t let the bottom dry before you get all of the growth scraped off or it will be harder to get it off. Check the wheels and shafts for electrolysis. I’m sure the zincs have long been eaten up.

I hope everyone had a festive and safe 4th of July Weekend!

Lift
    I dread to see her bottom when she's lifted. dsharps fears and concerns are warranted. We will act accordingly. I'm afraid that I will find blisters in the hull. I wonder if any of you have experience regarding their treatment.

Carpentry
    We completed replacing the wooden floor of the deckhouse fixing the hatches and expanding those with access to those of the generator. Below are a couple of photos and here's a link to a video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gkkuj8gxvn...laced.mp4?dl=0

Acoustic Insulation
    Soundown were recommended. I'm considering 2” Vinyl Foam composite insulation for the deckhouse floor and hatches. As well as MLV acoustic underlayment Tuff/Mass beneath the synthetic decking from https://www.esthec.com/en/home.html in cockpit as well as the deckhouse unless that seems like an overkill? Your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

We are progressing well with the refit. We've reached the generator stage. The original was fitted back in 1972:

Onan
    15.0 MDJF-3CR/2268C

The generator was replaced in 1999 and has broke down a few years ago has the following details:

Onan
    15MDKAD
    SPEC: 66906A
    J943237874

I've attached some images and I'm seeking your guidance whether I should invest the time, effort and cost to fix a 21-year old generator or replace it with a new model? I would appreciate your suggestions regarding a recommended brand. Thanks

It looks pretty rusty to me
    Attached Images