Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Re: 1972 Hatteras 45 Convertible Refit

Strut bolts leaking?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sad to say but I'm kinda an expurt on this. Strut bolts as mentioned can leach in a lot more water than you would think. The strut packing is another spot it can leach in without seeing a drip. The shaft logs will have a noticeable drip as we all know. Any other through hull the water can leach in and have a path it flows that is not noticeable. With a flashlight and some patience to can see little stuff flowing or circulating. Follow this till leak is found. I have a little gremlin on the 46. I'll be doing the same thing this week. Minor so harder to find but I'll get it.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Thank you for your guidance. Here are photos from today. I believe we have issues with the seals.

Much appreciated,
    Karim
    Attached Images
    Blue Arrow
    1972 HAT 45C #459
    DD8V71T

Greetings from Aqaba, Jordan.

Despite the efforts to repair the Detroit Diesel 8V71T engines, still having trouble keeping her running, when she's most in demand, during the holidays, such as last Easter Sunday.

The latest problem was the engine starter which was ordered from DieselPro online. Hopefully it will reach us in time. Not to mention the cost of the parts, shipping internationally and labor cost.

Question: would you consider repowering given that the both engines are 51 years old?

If yes, which manufacturer and models would you choose?

Thanks,
    Karim
    Blue Arrow
    1972 HAT 45C #459
    DD8V71T

Probably the best choice on engines (at least over here) would be Cummins QSM11s, or perhaps QSCs. They are both available in the Cummins "reman" program, which essentially gets you new engines at a remanufactured engine price. But I don't know if the reman engines are available outside the United States. Any USA Cummins dealer would have them available. I have no idea what the procedure for shipping them overseas might involve.

As I understand it, the reman engines contain a few reconditioned parts in non-critical areas, such as oil pans, covers, etc. All the internal working parts are either new or tested to meet original specs. They have sold thousands of remans with a very good track record on them. Remans have a warranty as well. Cummins also sell entirely new engines which are compliant with the latest USA emissions standards, but I have no idea what the emissions standards are in your part of the world.

You would have to find an installer etc in your area, as well. The economics of repowering an older boat are always tricky- even with a very well made and well known boat like a Hatteras, you are thinking about a very expensive project on an older boat which may not make sense economically. Also, in the time it takes to install new engines, you might be able to do a major overhaul on the original engines for less money. I think most here would agree that a repower or replacement only makes sense if you plan to keep the boat for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArrow View Post
    Greetings from Aqaba, Jordan.

Despite the efforts to repair the Detroit Diesel 8V71T engines, still having trouble keeping her running, when she's most in demand, during the holidays, such as last Easter Sunday.

The latest problem was the engine starter which was ordered from DieselPro online. Hopefully it will reach us in time. Not to mention the cost of the parts, shipping internationally and labor cost.

Question: would you consider repowering given that the both engines are 51 years old?

If yes, which manufacturer and models would you choose?

Thanks,
    Karim
    What kind of problems keeping them running? The 71 series is famous (infamous?) for running even when hurt. I have a thread here somewhere about addressing what I call the bolt on stuff. You have your core engine (including injection system) where condition matters the most. If sound then consider going through everything else at one time. We did a water pump, heat exchangers, exhaust manifolds (removal, resurface, remount), intercoolers, turbos (STB, port done 2 years ago), ect, ect. I did not do starters. But if I have one go I buy 2. Replace both. Removed working one is now a spare.

If you don't use the boat much something is always not going to be right when you try to use it. Best way to maintain is run it and use it a lot. Short trips are fine. It's the time interval that gets ya. Detroit's are old school but very manageable if you are forward thinking and on top of maintenance. Rsmith on here has about a billion hours on his. Yes he has rebuilt but never paid $200K (that I know of) at one time to repower.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Best brand for worldwide service is Catepillar.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thank you Jim Rosenthal, madhatter1 and SKYCHENEY for your guidance.

We are in touch with the local agents for Cummins and Caterpillar. We’re having a CAT survey done this coming week and we will keep you posted on our progress.

In the meantime we managed to fix the engine starter and ordered a replacement.

Much appreciated.
    Karim

PS. For a 50 year plus old boat what would you
    estimate the annual budget should be for total maintenance including parts and labor?

Blue Arrow April 2023.jpg
    Blue Arrow April 2023
    Blue Arrow
    1972 HAT 45C #459
    DD8V71T

That really depends on your individual boat. The range is very great. For example, if you bought Skycheney's boat, or Robert Clarkson's, your maintenance budget would be lower because so much of it was already done and squared away. It also depends on how often you run the boat, and on what services are locally available and how much you can or have to do yourself. You might actually have a better idea of this than anyone stateside.