Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: 1972 Hatteras 45 Convertible Refit

We had an incident this morning. Between the time the skipper left the dock last night making sure all was okay and by the time he returned this morning he found the boat tilting. The engine rooms were flooded with 1.5 feet of water.

We salvaged the situation. It seems we had a leak in the port engine sea water strainer. And as you can imagine 2 bilge pumps out of the 4 were dead. Probably a short circuit somewhere.

Luckily the engines were not running. We drained the oil. Cleaned the engines. Refilled new oil and both engines are up and running.

I was wondering if there are alarms that can be setup for standard bilge pumps (Rule 2000) in the case of such failures or electrical shortages on similar aged boats?

Many thanks,
    Karim
    Blue Arrow
    1972 HAT 45C #459
    DD8V71T

High water alarms are very common. Depending on if your float switches (Ultra) have built in sensors or adding more switches located higher in the bilge its not a hard system to install.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

www.aqualarm.net has all the products you need.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Thanks again for everyone's guidance. I'm ordering parts and was wondering if anyone has come across a stainless steel fixture that secures the top of the moveable ladder connecting between the salon and the galley.

The ladder is removable to allow access to the fridge and the cabinets behind. This holds the ladder in place. I'm not sure what you would actually call it. The ladder slides in.

Otherwise, the refit is under way, we will be fabricating the exhausts this week. Considering galvanised steel or stainless steel, if you have thoughts, I would appreciate it.

All the best,
    Karim
    Attached Images
    Blue Arrow
    1972 HAT 45C #459
    DD8V71T

There is an “L” bracket with a screw in fitting that a lot of these boats use in different locations, that might work well for your ladder.ED8A8F6E-FFA2-43E8-B203-E4AC203F1279.jpg
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Thanks Scarlett for the suggestion. I will try to find a similar L bracket.

In the meantime regarding the exhausts, we will most probably fabricate them in stainless steel which hopefully will last longer.

All the best,
    Karim
    Blue Arrow
    1972 HAT 45C #459
    DD8V71T

I hope those reading this post are in the best of health. Excuse me for the long hiatus. I was waiting for the parts shipment to arrive before updating you further.

In the meantime, the team had a mishap today. While out at sea they lost the port engine propeller. I'm not sure how that could have happened. We assume that the pin broke.

In all cases I need to find a replacement. It appears they are Michigan Wheel Propellers. The inscriptions are as follows:
    8 72
    27 RH 34
    Grand Rapids, Mich

8 72
    27 LH 34
    Grand Rapids, Mich
    I will try to source the propeller locally, but it seems highly unlikely that we will find an exact match.

Option 1
    Source an identical propeller. If so, please recommend a good source.

Option 2
    Find 2 propellers that are similar and locally available to replace the lost one and the remaining one.

Not sure if there's a third option. Your recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Karim
    Attached Images
    Blue Arrow
    1972 HAT 45C #459
    DD8V71T

Must be my vision but the threads on the shaft end look really smooth?
    Regards
    Dan

Thanks Dan, were you looking for a thread similar to this one?
    Attached Images
    Blue Arrow
    1972 HAT 45C #459
    DD8V71T

Major snag! After a long hiatus while waiting for good photos to share on the progress of the refit, we're facing a new hurdle where we've detected water leaking in the lower cabins and unable to find the culprit.

We tried blocking some of the below water line holes in sequence to try to identify if one of them had an issue. That exercise did not help.

We lifted Blue Arrow yesterday. Trying to find the source for the water intake.

You might recall in the earlier post in this thread that we lost one of the propellers in the sea trials. We're wonering if the shaft holding that propeller might have gotten damaged and the surrounding part of the hull might have caused the leak.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Karim
    Attached Images
    Blue Arrow
    1972 HAT 45C #459
    DD8V71T