Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Steering system issue

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    The Teleflex power steering likes the 5606 aviation fluid which is the same as what Teleflex sells at a much lower cost.

I think Teleflex actually sells ISO 15 hydraulic fluid. I bought 5gallons and flushed mine out and the steering is super easy now.

https://petroleumservicecompany.com/...5-gallon-pail/
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

If you have fluid under the steering ram you prolly need to have it rebuilt at a reputable shop who rebuilds those cylinders. It doesn't seem like a normal hydraulic shop is capable (maybe some are but mine wasn't).

The black bellow is just there to keep dust/debris off the hydraulic cylinder, it is not meant to hold any fluid.

I second buying the fluid from an aviation place, saves a pile of money, without cutting corners, and owners love seeing stuff like that.

Welcome to the hatteras forum, lots of good people and info here. My biggest piece of advice I'll give you that gets most people new to these boats. Arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible. Diving head first into any issue without much knowledge on the subject is a recipe for disaster and wasted $$$$$$$. Take you time, do your research, a lot of the info you will need may take some time to obtain. Patience will save you tons of time and the owners money.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

My hynautic ram was leaking oil and making a mess in my bilge. $36 for the parts to fix it and maybe 1-2 hours work (removing ram from boat took half of the time).

Kit comes with instructions. PN 549591 : 549591-K21-K29

https://www.go2marine.com/Hynautic-Cylinder-Seal-Kits
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

The power steering ram is basically a regular ram with a additional servo ram attached, the servo looks like it has a lot more going on than a regular hydraulic cylinder.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E