Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Steering system issue

So I recently started working on a 64' Hatteras motor yacht, after the previous captain disappeared on the owner. This is my first time taking on this role, as I was previously a mate for a tour boat company. I'm still very new to this level of boating, so my apologies for my lack of knowledge.

The steering is jittery when turning to port and occasionally difficult coming out of port, starboard turning is easy past neutral rudder position as well as coming back to neutral. I looked into the control arm compartment and found some damage to the steering cylinder, the rubber covering the rod was torn open.

When testing the steering at dock, I had no issue (aside from an initial stick in hard left rudder) going hard port to hard starboard. I cannot see any leaks aside what might have come out of the rubber that covered the rod. But the turning was previously difficult while underway.

I'm waiting to hear back from Teleflex about the SeaStar steering cylinder. Aside from the rubber covering needing to be replaced, any thoughts about trying to fix this issue? The owners manual doesn't specify for one-sided steering difficulties.

(the first keeps uploading upside down, sorry)
    20200630_091223.jpg20200630_091123.jpg20200630_145206.jpg

Re: Steering system issue

Sounds like rudders need to be centered up if they favor one side underway but need similar force at rest. The 'jittery' feeling and sticking when reversing sound like air in the line. The torn bellows is just corrosion protection. Being torn makes it easier to spot a leak on that end of the cylinder.

So, I would drive it at idle in a straight line and then cast your eyes upon the rudder tillers to see if they're offset. Could easily be just one rudder that's out.

Where's all that red fluid coming from?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Where's all that red fluid coming from?
    Yep, where is the fluid coming from.
    How much pressure in the system and fluid level?
    Where is the boat?

I had assumed the fluid came from the bellow, I will try to pin point where it came from once it is cleaned up. It's extremely difficult to move further into the compartment let alone look around.

The pressure last I check read about 23 psi, with a range listed as 20-30 operating psi on the reservoir and manuals. The level was showing about 2/3 above low fluid mark (1/3 below max fill line).

The ship is currently docked in Virginia Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by jtingram2691 View Post
    The ship is currently docked in Virginia Beach.
    It's a boat.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    It's a boat.
    Ship happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Ship happens.
    Yes, and the steering gear is much larger.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Late update, but I seem to have fixed the issue.

I drained the system of fluid, the last captain put in a very thick hydraulic fluid (or never changed it which is what I'm guessing), I saw a LOT of debris at the bottom of the bucket. Turns out that "red fluid" is what was put in the system, a very thick hydraulic fluid, which I believe contributed to the manual steering being a bit hard. Replaced the return filter, and refilled with the manufacturer's recommended fluid. After working the helm manually then with auto pilot, I looked at the reservoir again and the fluid had darkened again with debris. Flushed the system again, and replaced the filter one more time for good measure. Worked the helm by hand and by autopilot again, no sticking no hang-ups.

TLDR: Very old and VERY dirty fluid in the steering system. Flushed twice, and changed filters twice. Butter smooth steering now.

Some people use ATF fluid which is OK according to Hynautic but indeed results in stiffer steering. The best are either hynautic fluid or Aviation hydraulic fluid
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The Teleflex power steering likes the 5606 aviation fluid which is the same as what Teleflex sells at a much lower cost.

This where we get it from. $27 per gallon

https://petroleumservicecompany.com/...gallon-bottle/
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E