Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does anyone know the 12vdc CCA requirement for DD8v71 engines?

Hi All,

Does anyone know the 12vdc CCA requirement for the DD8v71 engines?

I did the search function and read about 30 posts about batteries with hundreds of responses and only found one Hatt owner referencing that Detroit Deisel required a 1900 CCA battery for the DD8v71.

Is that correct? Can anyone confirm?

Almost no one states the CCA requirements, mostly they talk about battery cost, sizes, and or different voltages, but not CCA.

Thanks in advance,
    R

Re: Does anyone know the 12vdc CCA requirement for DD8v71 engines?

The scale only goes to 1800 on the Delco chart. The 1900 entry might have been me. I did not want to be short. O could not copy the page.
    The link is wattsups%27%20stef/compenents/delco-remy%20alternator/06specGuide

Page 99
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I'd bet you need at least 2 x 8D batteries at 12 or 24 volts. The 8v53s on my boat use 1 8D And 0000 cable short enough to prevent drop. The batteries have 5 foot of cable to the starter.

Do not think 2 or 3 smaller batteries will equal the power of the big 8D. It's not simple math. Adding a second battery in parallel does not double the CCA.

They're are newer batteries that have higher burst CCA but are not as robust.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks Glory for the info

Here is the link of the post that referenced 1900CCA from "Traveler 45C"

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-3976.html?

S
    till hoping someone knows the answer, I need to buy starting battery's and want to get the correct ones.

Thanks,
    R

Isn't your boat 32 volt?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

If you find the CCA for 24 volt you can double it or 32 volt you can multiply it by 2.666. that shoudl get you pretty close. You can always add more than you need since more is typically better for starting batteries.
    1978 60C "Reel Action" Hull number 4 (304), 1986 36 Sedan "El Dorado" Hull Number 24 (324)

Thanks Sixty but I can't find the CCA for 12 volts let alone other voltages...... It's a little frustrating to have hundreds of posting from scores of Hatt Owners and no one posted CCA or knows what CCA their battery's are rated for that they are using.

Going to a Battery Dealer tomorrow, I will ask them to identify the DD battery requirements, hopefully they won't steer me wrong. If I can get some documentation that would be useful to All on the forum I will post it so I won't be the only Hatt Owner who know what the CCA req's are for an 8v71.

Quote Originally Posted by ralexa6808 View Post
    Thanks Sixty but I can't find the CCA for 12 volts let alone other voltages...... It's a little frustrating to have hundreds of posting from scores of Hatt Owners and no one posted CCA or knows what CCA their battery's are rated for that they are using.Going to a Battery Dealer tomorrow, I will ask them to identify the DD battery requirements, hopefully they won't steer me wrong. If I can get some documentation that would be useful to All on the forum I will post it so I won't be the only Hatt Owner who know what the CCA req's are for an 8v71.
    How would you know a bum steer if you got one? Why not call a Detroit dealer and cut out the middleman?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Define battery dealer?

Worst morons is a battery dealer and they know nothing about batteries.

Isn't your engine 32 volts or has it been converted?

What size cable and how long is it?

Where are you loacated and can a knowledgeable person help?

I sell lots of good batteries. I've seen some real crap from a distributor in south Florida. Private label and Walmart quality at best.

Email or PM if you would like help. I work with all kinds of batteries, chargers and inverters.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Thanks Robert - Good idea...I guess I got so focused on the CCA that I shudda thought of that, but glad you did, thx.

Thanks for the offer Scott - currently talking to a Detroit Dealer here and will advise if it leads nowhere, thanks again.