Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New house bank

New house bank

Contemplating replacing three 8ds for my house bank. I pretty much always run my generator which powers a smart charger so probably donít need that much capacity. Thinking something to fill two 8d boxes. Does have to power my windlass. Opinions on a lighter option?
    Captain Paul Stich
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC

Re: New house bank

House banks can run LiFePo batteries without issue. Depending on the draw the windlass can too.

With the new tech you need a battery management system and the charger needs to support the batteries.

It's a bit of cash but lots lighter.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

When I want your opinion I'll give it to you?

Boat is for sale so I can get a 58. Not looking for the most expensive option just something where I can manage the install without the weight of the 8ds.
    Captain Paul Stich
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC

Hire out the hard work. It will cost too much to change out to anything else. Just not worth it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Iím thinking maybe three group 34 in each 8d box.
    Captain Paul Stich
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC

By the time you get the new cables and change it out you could hire a couple of strong backs and put in the 8ds
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Think you're better off with 27's over 34's if they will fit in the box, 3 of either placed sideways should be close to the length of an 8D.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Three Group 24s will fit set in sideways. 31s will not. I don't know about 27s.

for what you would spend to do all those cables, you could hire it done, and just put 8Ds in, as Scott pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Paul View Post
    Boat is for sale so I can get a 58. Not looking for the most expensive option just something where I can manage the install without the weight of the 8ds.
    I just picked up a 8D box for my house bank, might add more if the need arises. Going with 3 Group 27's easier on the back then a single 8D.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Paul View Post
    Iím thinking maybe three group 34 in each 8d box.
    Guess depends on the box, one I picked up can hold 3 24's or 3 27's. Only 1 in it for now.
    Attached Images